ASAA Family Sites:
Sleep Apnea logo sleeptember logo

When were you diagnosed with sleep apnea?

I think it would be interesting to have us post information about our diagnosis, let’s see what kind of trend it shows! I’ll start

Female
Diagnosed 1989 Mixed apnea
Diagnosed at age 35

In hindsight, symptoms started at age 20, so misdiagnosed for 15 years

Male
Diagnosed 2009
Positional OSA at age 36
first noticeable age 16 where I knew something was not correct
misdiagnosed 20 Years

I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea (obstructive) a week ago. I’ve had symptoms for a long time, and my wife finally made me talk to my doctor about it.
Age 52.

May 2014 I was diagnosed w moderate sleep apnea. I’m 74 male

female…
I was diagnosed with UARS in 2003, at 31, after a failed first sleep study. I am certain I have had symptoms since I was in college in the early 90s… Successfully treated with apap for the past 13 years.

quacky

Male 43yrs of age
Diagnosed in 2002 at the age of 30.
Pretty sure I had it my whole life.
Misdiagnosed with depression.

It’s been about 10 years or so. I didn’t have any sleeping problems, but snored like made. Finally did a sleep study and yup, had sleep apnea. The fact that I wasn’t tired during the day kept me from going to check out the snoring for a long time. But guess what, you can have apnea and not get tired during the day. Go figure.

I was diagnosed in 1998/1999 at age 50/51. I was also diagnosed with multiple-sclerosis in 1991, and un-diagnosed in 2001. That diagnosis was changed to chronic fatigue syndrome, then to fibromyalgia, and then, when I cried BS!, to nothing… I had been under doctor’s orders from 1991 to 2001 “not to exercise to the point of sweating”, and it wasn’t until I gave up on doctors and their diagnosis and started living. In every country except America, people with MS were told to “go until you cannot go anymore, then rest until you can go again”… and I took that to heart, and I went. I bought a bike, a scooter, a motorcycle, renewed my pilots license, went surfing, even SCUBA diving one more time… and I sweat whenever I could… oh, I divorced in 96, while still diagnosed with MS, and moved to California… enjoyed the sun while I could, still do, getting old now though, slowing down, at the same time as getting more healthy and SPEEDING UP! Life sure is funny sometimes… Google has become a good friend :smile:

Brent, how is treatment for you? Better quality of life?
if you are having challenges with CPAP or another treatment, let us know so we can share our experiences to help you

If you had difficulties and overcame them, others would be interested in hearing how

We’re all about sharing and helping our friends here!

Quacky,
Have you experienced a return to the sleep lab since your UAR diagnosis in 2003 to see if you have sleep apnea now?

Congrats, I see you’ve been successful with APAP for many years and its the same treatment for UARS and OSA.

The reason I ask is that a lot of patients tell me that with a diagnosis of UARS their insurance does not cover CPAP and unfortunately, a lot of these patients then choose not to treat or just cannot afford. This probably varies plan to plan, state to state. Does your insurance cover your APAP and supplies?

The ASAA CPAP assistance program would certainly be able to provide the CPAP equipment for those people with UARS

All can learn more here http://sleepapnea.org/resources/cpap-assistance-program/need-a-cpap-machine.html

Tracy,

I have not had a repeat sleep study. I am fortunate to have a sleep doctor that I see yearly. My appointments with him are covered and he is willing to prescribe whatever I need as far as machines and supplies go. Unfortunately not all docs seem to be that open. However, after many hassles with the insurance over how much they would cover of my equipment and supplies, I have chosen to pay out of pocket, which has been difficult financially at times. I am hoping my machine lasts a while longer. I have had it for several years now but will definitely keep the program in mind.

I was diagnosed around 2009. Didn’t know I had it really. I started with an oral appliance but had to give it up due to periodontal disease. Then I went to CPAP around 2011 and it worked for a while. I finally couldn’t tolerate the CPAP and then got an implant in 2012. It works real well for me. Check it out at inspiresleep.com

DanM
Can you share more about your experience with the Inspire implant? What was your experience with the surgery and did the treatment work immediately? It would be great if you could tell us more about living with the implant. Much better to hear from a patient who has had this procedure rather than reading about it. I really appreciate you telling us more

Sure. I was a Star trial patient at Froedtert Hospital & Medical College of Wisconsin for the Inspire implant. When I was told I was a candidate for the implant, without hesitation I said let’s do it. For those who don’t know what the implant is, it is basically a pacemaker type of implant that is implanted under your skin in the right upper chest area. When activated by remote control at bedtime, there is a 30 minute fall asleep period. After I fall asleep; the device senses when I inhale and it delivers a small shock to my tongue that nudges it forward thus opening my airway.

The surgery went well. It wasn’t very long and at that time, I stayed overnight. Of course there was soreness in the area of the incisions but they healed normally as any surgery. It had to heal 30 days or so before they could activate the device. Once activated and adjusted, i have used it every night since. I started sleeping better right away. The funny thing is that I started remembering my dreams when I woke up in the morning. I hadn’t realized that with OSA and the lack of good sleep, I was waking up in the morning and not remembering any dreams from that night’s sleep. I was tired all day but I thought it was just the way of life. I really didn’t know what I was missing.

I sleep well at night and don’t snore (my wife is happy :slightly_smiling:) After a few hours of sleep when I wake up, sometimes I already feel well rested. I have other medical conditions and wonder sometimes if OSA contributed to those conditions. My story is shared on the Inspiresleep.com website in “Inspired Lives” I would be more than happy to help anyone who has questions that I might be able to answer about living with the device.

Dan, thanks again for sharing!
Was your apnea in the mild, moderate or severe range? I know each of us would have to be evaluated to know if this therapy could be recommended as a treatment option. I am enjoying learning more.
The videos were very informative https://www.inspiresleep.com/inspired-lives/

I would say it was moderate.

I was diagnosed with SEVERE sleep apnea when I was going through the extensive medical testing when I was in the final stages of being considered with my daughter Jennifer as contestants for NBC’s Biggest Loser, Season 11.

I had no clue that I had it, and I also found out through the testing that they believed my apnea was causing a near fatal heart arrhythmia that occurred during a stress test.

The good news, no the great news!

I made it on the show with my daughter. While I was there I was 100% compliant using my CPAP on the Ranch. My metabolism got a great boost from being compliant, I lost 181lbs on the show, and I even made it all the “weigh” to the coveted Final 4.

Now almost 5 years post Biggest Loser, I had another sleep test to find out that I still have sleep apnea, I still use my CPAP, and I’ve been able to keep the weight off within a 20lb wiggle room of fluctuating back and forth…

Great story Jay, great news! Congratulations on the weight loss AND maintaining that loss.
Curious, after your massive weight loss, did your severity level change and did your CPAP pressures change?

After my gastric bypass and massive weight loss, I am still “profoundly severe” and my pressures remained in the same high range.

Thanks for sharing

20 years ago and I still cannot use the C PAP machine I am struggling mightily I’m looking for surgical procedures that work for people. I am at my wits end. I’m even thinking about a tracheotomy

I am new here. I was just officially diagnosed today. I haven’t had the titration for the CPAP yet. I have to call tomorrow for the appointment. I’m confused and kind of afraid. I feel like a zombie all day with only moments of lucidity. I had a car accident last summer because I fell asleep. I am thankful no one else was involved or hurt but me. I have been off work since than because I also had a head injury, broken nose, facial lacerations. I asked my doctor about a week before the accident to send me for a sleep study because I had bad sleep paralysis attacks and I assumed that I had narcolepsy. He refused, said that I didn’t need it. It took me nearly dying or killing others on the road driving to work. I feel like it could have been avoided if he had taken me serious.