ASAA Family Sites:
Sleep Apnea logo sleeptember logo

We need patient-centered ideas!

Who has good ideas for research projects? What would you like to see done to help answer questions you have?

8 posts were split to a new topic: Resmed, Fischer & Paykel, ect. better act fast

Find a doctor that practices both traditional and holistic medicine- you will have a WINNER.

I would like research on a air cushion/ vacuum full mask. This mask would seal VIA vacum, with pleanty of comfort due to an air cushion form fit. Because it uses vacuum it would need NO STRAPS OR HEAD GEAR. Some dream huh?

With all the emphasis on “BIG DATA”, “DATA ANALITICS” , and “COGNITIVE COMPUTING” it would be really nice to have something where we could take the data from our ?-PAP machines and have it analyzed against against millions of other users data points in aggregate, with similar characteristics, to see if better machine parameters could be come up quicker than it’s done today.

The issue the manufacturers are up against is that they have the CPAP device data, but not the other important patient-centric data. That said, pretty sure that have noticed gender differences, such that they can now start to tailor product design, and likely product algorithm, based on gender.

The irony is, we have tons of data differentiated by gender, ethnicity, height / weight; pulmonary conditions, issues to pulmonary as a result of surgery or accident and many other conditions. Perhaps it’s ineffective blood / gas barrier exchange because of surfactant chemistries. The list is endless, Those with varying forms of COPD be it from smoking or chronic bronchitis. All these data points.

There are scores of universities that are constantly amassing all this data in aggregate. As for gender differences, yes, I’m aware of one ?PAP manufacture that has an “FDA” approved algorithm for “Women” because of “blah”. Honestly, I don’t know all the nuts and bolts to what or how it does it.

I’m just suggesting all this amassed, aggregate data pertaining to various pulmonary conditions, in conjunction with the data from some of these data recording machines, might be used to produce machines that more quickly detect the various forms of obstruction and react in real-time to address the problem for the patient on the fly without their knowledge.

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, I know, It’s a lot of data to consider, analyze, derivate into algorithms to be stuffed into machines for our benefit… but it boils down to a simiple matter of programming once all the conditions can be seen… :slight_smile:

Couldn’t agree more. The trick with the massive amount of data that is being generated within healthcare systems for patient care is that 99% of it is not being used to generate new knowledge. . . that is the trick, how do we begin to change the current structure of health care to be what is now termed a “learning healthcare system” . . .the data entry tool is the EMR. But different systems use different EMRs. Variable definitions are different, and therefore data aggregation is very difficult (much less the data meaning different things). Then you have the whole CYA factor to healthcare documentation. Will take a major culture change.

Hiatal Hernia and OSA connection: I would like to see more research in the interrelationship between these two disorders, particularly the effect of negative intrathoracic pressure due to apneas on the formation of the hernia, including paraesophageal hernia. Also research on diagnostic guidelines for sleep studies on patients having hiatal hernia, and how the delay in sleep study test/treatment can exacerbate the hernia leading to a worse outcome for patient. See, for example this link [American Academy of Otolaryngology: Many patients with sleep apnea also suffer from GI tract conditions]

Need to understand more about neuro sleep apnea. The vets are coming back from overseas having breathed in air from burn pits. How has this affected our neurological system related to breathing. Also has the anthrax vaccine played any part in this as well. Research on CPAP and correction of acid reflux. Lastly which comes first, sleep apnea then heart disease or the opposite.

These are great questions! Will take a look at the current medical literature to see how much (if anything) is known on some of these issues. Regarding OSA and heart disease -the general thinking is that OSA contributes independently to heart disease. This was questioned for a long time, but several years ago OSA was listed as a known risk factor for hypertension.

Why not take a survey from Apnea patients that will bring to life MASK COMFORT???

I wear a Fitbit. It provides my sleep information every morning. I would like to find researchers who are working with Fitbit sleep data.

Prasad

@npkadambi

Hi Prasad, I believe the American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine can help you find anyone that is doing research if you contact them. The phone number is: (630) 737-9705.

Additionally, here is a list of research. You can click on each listing’s URL to find contact information.
https://www.fitabase.com/research-library/

Hope this helps!
Theresa (MotherT)