ASAA Family Sites:
Sleep Apnea logo sleeptember logo

Traveling with Cpap

I’m traveling to Mexico and only taking carry-on. How do I get past the 3.4 oz liquid rule to bring a liter of distilled water?

Distilled water isn’t mandatory and if bottled water is able to be purchased on the flight then that will be fine. In fact water from the bathroom sink would probably also be fine too !

I normally don’t travel with water unless it’s a road trip. I normally will use the cleanest bottled water I can find at my destination. Also, when I replace the water tank on my machine, I keep the old one and use it for travel and occasionally am forced to use tap water. Not the end of the world.

I doubt you would be allowed to carry it. If you really want to, call the airline.
When I’m away I just use tap water. The only problem would be it leaving residue, so I step up the cleaning. The times that I have been away for a week+ I usually buy some at the destination.
I don’t know what it is where you are, but I can pick up a gallon for a buck.

I would check with your airline and TSA

http://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/cib_results.aspx?search=water+bottle
Search Results For:
unopened water bottle (more than 3.4oz)
You may carry liquids, gels and aerosols in your carry-on bags only if they adhere to the 3-1-1 rule: containers must be 3.4 ounces or less; stored in a 1 quart/liter zip-top bag; 1 zip-top bag per person, placed in the screening bin. Larger amounts of non-medicinal liquids, gels, and aerosols must be placed in checked baggage.
Medically required liquids, such as baby formula and food, breast milk and medications are allowed in excess of 3.4 ounces in reasonable quantities for the flight. It is not necessary to place medically required liquids in a zip-top bag. However, you must tell the Transportation Security Officer that you have medically necessary liquids at the beginning of the screening checkpoint process. Medically required liquids will be subjected to additional screening that could include being asked to open the container. We recommend, but do not require, that medication be labeled to facilitate the security process. Many airports have designated lanes for families and individuals with items requiring additional assistance with screening.

You may purchase beverages after the security checkpoint and take them on the plane, as they have been previously screened. You may also take empty drink containers through the checkpoint and fill them afterward.

If the liquid is considered a hazardous material that is permitted onboard an aircraft, it is still subject to the 3-1-1 limitations. Many questions arise on whether an item is hazardous material and what requirements must be met to take it on an aircraft. The Pipeline Hazardous Material Safety Administration (PHMSA) at 1-800-467-4922 or the aircraft operator on which you are flying can assist you with your questions concerning hazardous material.

Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane.

I have to travel internationally for business and I have learned that it is not worth the trouble to use my CPAP on the plane (my doctor is okay with this). I do not carry my CPAP equipment in its case. Instead I carry the loose pieces in my backpack. Regarding your question about distilled water: You can try to arrange for it in your hotel. However, what I do is to buy some from a pharmacy near where I am staying. The cost is way more than I would have to pay in the states (2L for $20 in Ireland), but so worth the peace of mind. I used to carry some distilled water in a specially marked reuseable bottle in my checked luggage, but I found that I needed a couple of quarts for each trip and it made my suitcase too heavy. Plus, I use disposable CPAP wipes for my mask when I travel. In the morning I put my mask in a drawer of the bedside table on top of a towel from the bathroom. Have a great trip!

@chisteve I agree with what you said about having peace of mind (by using water from the pharmacy). Less chance for problems. Thanks for posting!