ASAA Family Sites:
Sleep Apnea logo sleeptember logo

Theravent?

I never feel like I get enough sleep. 8, 9, 10 hours… I’ll get up but I still feel like I need more. I fall asleep easily and wake up zero or once per night-- sounds good right? But it’s not enough . I snore if I sleep on my back so I sleep on my side. My energy during the day is low and I always feel like I want a nap. A nap will usually help for a little while. I exercise regularly and it helps a bit but not enough. I am not overweight. I don’t have narcolepsy.-- I never spontaneously fall asleep during the day.

About 10 years ago I had a sleep study. They said I had mild sleep apnea but declared I needed no treatment. I think perhaps they were wrong about that – maybe something should be done. . I am not enthused about having another sleep study. (It was expensive, and honestly-- kind of creepy having people watch you sleep). I read about the Theravent nose patches that are a non-prescription version of another therapy (Provent) that is used for sleep apnea. I am interested in trying it before I go back to the sleep doctor.

Has anyone tried Theravent?

There are home sleep studies now if you are not able to tolerate the in-lab studies. Check with your sleep lab as many of them also perform home sleep studies. Just a few monitors on you, and no one watching.

From what you say, it could be possible that the condition has worsened. A lot can happen to the body in 10 years.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions you would like answered privately, you may email me at MotherT@sleepapnea.org

Hang in there!!!

I tried several non-prescription remedies before having a sleep study, and none of them helped. I didn’t try Theravent due to the mixed reviews, but the only way to know if it will help you is to try it. You may be able to purchase a trial pack. I had a home sleep study, and while it wasn’t an enjoyable experience, it was much less expensive and more convenient than a lab study. Please consider trying this. As Mother T said, things can change in ten years. There are many people who aren’t overweight, exercise and are in great health who have sleep apnea, and you may be one of them. I hope you’re able to find a solution for your tiredness.

I’ll add to the encouragement for you to get a home sleep study or any professional evaluation you get obtain.

My own symptoms werent classic ones so I dithered and delayed about getting a sleep study. That proved to be a mistake as I could have begun treatment much sooner than I did.

I hope this helps.

Thank you all.
I did not know there were home sleep studies available. Nevertheless, I think I will try the Theravent since they have an inexpensive trial pack available. If it doesn’t help I’ll go back to the sleep doctor (.