ASAA Family Sites:
Sleep Apnea logo sleeptember logo

Snoring, apnea linked to diabetes risk in older adult

(Reuters Health) - Seniors with nighttime breathing issues like snoring or sleep apnea often have high blood sugar and may be almost twice as likely as sound sleepers to develop type 2 diabetes, according to a recent study.

Findings from some 6,000 U.S. adults who were followed for up to 10 years suggest that doctors may want to monitor blood sugar in older patients with sleep-disordered breathing, researchers say.

“Recent evidence suggests that diabetes patients have a higher prevalence of sleep disturbances than the general population,” lead author Linn Beate Strand said by email.

“However, less is known about whether symptoms of sleep-disordered breathing increase the risk of developing type 2 diabetes later, especially in older adults,” said Strand, of the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston.

Sleep apnea involves frequent episodes during sleep when the airway closes and people stop breathing entirely. Often breathing resumes abruptly with a loud snort or choking sound, according to the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute.

These repeated breathing interruptions, which can occur up to 30 times per hour, have been linked to daytime sleepiness and increased risk of high blood pressure, heart attack, stroke, heart failure, irregular heartbeat, diabetes and death.

Most previous studies on sleep disorders and diabetes have focused on young or middle-aged adults, the researchers point out in the journal Diabetes Care. But, Strand told Reuters Health, sleep apnea and snoring become more common with age.

The more disturbed-breathing symptoms people had during sleep, the greater their diabetes risk.

Insomnia symptoms, however, were not consistently linked to the risk of diabetes.

“The findings suggest that improving sleep quality in older adults may reduce their risk of developing diabetes or may reduce the severity of diabetes in those who are already affected,” Eve Van Cauter, who was not involved in the study, told Reuters Health by email.

Van Cauter, a sleep and metabolism researcher at the University of Chicago, noted that although sleep disturbances can cause problems for nearly all aspects of health, they’re often ignored when treating diabetes.

“Monitoring blood sugar levels in older adults with sleep disturbances may help identify individuals potentially at risk to allow earlier interventions” before they develop full-blown diabetes, Strand said.

Getting good sleep is as important as nutrition and exercise to remain healthy during the aging process, Van Cauter noted. “People must insist that their doctors include sleep hygiene and sleep health in their evaluation and recommendations,” she said.

SOURCE: bit.ly/1VcPG1o Diabetes Care, online September 17, 2015.

#SLP4Diabetes #diabetes #NationalDiabetesMonth

Good information related to Sleep and Diabetes

Wow interesting article I did not know that blood sugar levels can be caused due to lack of sleep because I have been recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes boarderline my question is how it is triggered for the blood levels to be raised because of apnea ?

Sleep and glucose regulation are really tied and something that we need to educate much more about.

I appreciate All the comments and the web page links about diabetes and apnea it really makes you think and places you in a state of mind to take care of your body with cpap Theraphy I am so glad that I became a member of this site so much valuable information that is needed for my apnea condition .

Wow, Sleepy! That is great! I am a firm believer in this-- You see healthy results when people become engaged in their own healthcare regimen. Being educated and proactive in their own illnesses makes them more successful on this sometimes rocky road! It sure decreases FRUSTRATION when you know what is happening to your own body! Hats off to you for being involved! Keep reading and learning! :blush: blush:

If anyone needs some information on sleep and diabetes, just let me know. I can post it here or email you.

Sleep apnea is the most common sleep disorder in people with diabetes. Do you suffer from both conditions?

This is fascinating. My father (adoptive) snored. This article explains to me why an obviously healthy and active male could develop diabetes late in life. Very good article. Thanks for the information.

Sleep apnea machine can help.

Also, @spiritwalker @stan @Sleepy

I find that many people do not recognize the symptoms of Type 2 Diabetes as well as its very potentially co-morbid relationship with Sleep Apnea.

Talk to your families and friends and let them know what you know. It helps in spreading the word, and sure helps them or their loved ones!

As others have helped you learn, this is great to “Pay Forward.”

Thanks!
MotherT

Listen to our own Tamara here (listen past the music to hear her or enjoy the tunes :slight_smile:

Diabetes Late Nite Inspired by Gladys Knight & The Pips

Two Drawings for Door Prizes! Wednesday @ Noon Eastern!

Two lucky winners attending the free webinar (see log on info below) will receive a Philips/ Respironics Amara Gel Full Face Mask FitPak that includes the CPAP mask and headgear. All cushion sizes are included with the Fit Pack to help the user obtain the optimal fit.
The Amara is a less invasive full-face mask constructed to seal under the nose and around the mouth. The traditional forehead support has been eliminated from the design to provide comfort. It allows an open view so the user can read a book, or watch television while wearing the Amara.
"Sleep & Diabetes - Considerations for the Thanksgiving Table"
FREE: ASAA Mini Webinar Series for Patients
Wednesday Nov. 22, 2017 - 12:00 PM Noon Eastern
11 am Central/ 10 am Mountain/ 9 am Pacific
Join the Meeting: join.me/sleephealth (Video & Audio)
Call in: +1.202.602.1295 - Conference ID: 960-914-660 #
email ASAA@sleepapnea.org