ASAA Family Sites:
Sleep Apnea logo sleeptember logo

Sleepy and Addicted to Carbs

When we are sleep deprived, our body craves energy. Physician friends have told me certain hormones, Leptin and ghrelin become abnormal and contribute to severe hunger pangs and never feeling satisfied after eating, which in turn leads to gaining weight more easily than usual.

This might explain why we often gain weight when we are sleepy and when we crave and eat more sugars, carbohydrates and energy drinks to stay alert.

As we fight day time sleepiness and are less physically active, weight gain can more easily occur. It’s a spiral that often gets out of control until we improve our sleep.

Isn’t it interesting how sleep - something most of us take for granted - can so greatly impact our lives and health?
Have YOU noticed that you CRAVE caffeine, nicotine, sugary foods, carbs…pasta, rice, breads? These are all substances that provide energy boosts and the body is craving energy any way it can get it.

I guess it’s up to us to recognize this, change our food choices and try to resolve our sleep disorders. Easier said than done, I know.

Sleepy people, have you noticed any cravings?