ASAA Family Sites:
Sleep Apnea logo sleeptember logo

Sleep Paralysis

For anyone who does not know what sleep paralysis is, I have provided an overview from Wikipedia below.

I am curious to know if others with sleep apnea also frequently experience sleep paralysis (SP) I have experienced it all of my life and since my earliest childhood memories. It wasn’t until adulthood that I learned what it was. Prior, it was very frightening and in fact, I grew up being afraid of the dark. As a long time apnea patient (25 years) I have had 14 nights in hospital sleep labs. I have always hoped that SP would occur on one of those nights as I was eager to learn if and how it showed on the sleep architecture data they collect. Alas, I never had SP during a titration.

I am hoping others will share their experiences with SP, especially how often it occurs. For me it still occurs on a weekly basis.
THANKS for sharing!

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sleep paralysis

Sleep paralysis is a phenomenon in which a person, either during falling asleep (Hypnagagia) or awakening (Hypnopompia), temporarily experiences an inability to move, speak, or react. It is a transitional state between wakefulness and sleep, characterized by muscle atonia (muscle weakness). It is often accompanied by terrifying hallucinations (such as an intruder in the room) to which one is unable to react due to paralysis, and physical experiences (such as strong current running through the upper body). One hypothesis is that it results from disrupted REM sleep, which normally induces complete muscle atonia to prevent sleepers from acting out their dreams. Sleep paralysis has been linked to disorders such as narcolepsy, migraines, anxiety disorders, and obstructive sleep apnea; however, it can also occur in isolation.

I have had it for as long as I can remember. Usually only a few times a year, but when under a lot of emotional stress it will occur a lot more often.

Do you have narcolepsy? I know sleep paralysis is very common in narcoleptics.

It’s not clear yet. I was showing all the signs before I started on the new
CPAP. I’ve only been on treatment for a few weeks so they are holding off
on diagnoses, I suspect it well come back as a yes though.

I had 2 Multiple Sleep Latency Tests as they considered Narcolepsy for me as well. Turns out it was just profound excessive daytime sleepiness. I fell asleep in under one minute in my MSLT naps and in to REM twice, but thankfully no narcolepsy. I wish you well with your CPAP therapy and let us know if you have any questions. Here is a link to some articles you may find helpful…
http://www.sleepapnea.org/treat/after-the-diagnosis.html

I have experienced this my whole life also in fact I didn’t even know what it was called until I just read this thank you it was disconcerting as a child to be you know I’m at my desk with my head down taking a nap and they’re asking me to get up and I’m paralyzed I can’t get up I’m trying I’m awake in my mind but I cannot move yeah it happens a lot and I have severe sleep apnea and I do not have a mask I do not have a time machine anymore because Medicare take it away and I can’t afford a sleep study and I’m really suffering I have not slept in I don’t know months and months and months