ASAA Family Sites:
Sleep Apnea logo sleeptember logo

Sleep apnea 'could be misdiagnosed as depression'

More than 70% of people with sleep apnea experience symptoms of depression, according to a new study published in the Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine. Researchers say their findings indicate a possibility that the sleep condition could be misdiagnosed as depression.

Sleep apnea causes chronic sleep deprivation. When we are chronically sleep deprived, there are a whole host of problems that we experience, including mood and outlook on life. And with severe sleep apnea, breathing is stopped or reduced 60 times an hour, or more. It is very difficult to get the deep restful sleep that the body needs! Just getting through the day becomes a huge accomplishment!

Know all about this depression…not sleep disorder. I must admit, I had mainly hypopneas for many years. My husband said my breathing sounded like air trying to get through narrow opening. The first studies came up negative as they were not ready to detect hypopneas. Talking early 90s here.

Only after I agreed to see a psychiatrist, as my PC requested, over a 8 week period…was I given a new script for titration. This was in 2007…positive!

During my 14 year fog before I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, all of my doctors offered me antidepressants when I came in with complaints of sleepiness, fatigue, morning headaches, weight gain and inability to lose weight.

“now, now (patting my hand) you have 2 small children, you own your own business, more than a full time job, a household to manage, you are just stressed. Let me write you a prescription for antidepressants and you need to lose weight”

I never did fill those prescriptions but it took over a decade for a doctor to finally see the sleep apnea!
There is a difference between clinical depression and depression that results from sleep deprivation.