ASAA Family Sites:
Sleep Apnea logo sleeptember logo

Sleep apnea and Depression

I definitely found this to be true.
When we live with untreated sleep apnea, we live in a fog of sleepiness and depression. I am reminded that sleep deprivation is used as a form of torture in war.

Before my diagnosis, when no one knew I had sleep apnea, it was suggested I take antidepressants. I chose not to. When we are sleep deprived we are aware that we cannot function well, we are aware that we have memory loss and may even be aware of our inability to concentrate, but we don’t always understand why. Knowing this about ourselves makes us depressed and feel guilty.

I remember my loss of energy. It made me sad that everything in life was a challenge, even the thought of walking to the end of my driveway to get mail out of the box was a chore. I had a job and got through the day some how, but could not keep up my responsibilities as a mom, the way I expected of myself. Shopping, cooking, housecleaning,spending special time with my kids was so hard. Guilt. Depression. Guilt, that vicious cycle.

The wonderful news is that sleep apnea is treatable and once we get a week or two of consecutive quality sleep with the help of CPAP,…once that sleep debt is paid back, that miracle of miracles can happen. It did for me.