ASAA Family Sites:
Sleep Apnea logo sleeptember logo

Quick Question About Resmed AirSense 10

I am getting started using the CPAP machine. Sometimes it blasts me with air and won’t stop. One night it worked for a while, woke me up, and then stopped working. I think there’s something wrong with the machine, but they say I’m just not adjusting to it.

Got the crazy lady slam down from the provider, although I’m pretty proficient in technology. Is anyone else having these problems?

It came up on the first page of a Google search for me but I thought I’d ask you here. Thanks in advance!

Your best bet is to take it with you to the doctor and make sure it is adjusted as they want based upon your sleep test. I have one and love it. If you read the manual you can find out how to make small comfort adjustments once you make sure it is set properly.

Thank you for sharing, @afronative !!

Hi loneal! I have a Resmed Airsense 10, and I LOVE my machine - now… But here is what I have learned that has gotten me to that point:

• For the first 7 or so weeks I had it, I had the wrong size of mask. I didn’t think to call the DME provider, and when I asked the doctor, I was told that if the sleep clinic sized the mask (which they did), then the size was right. I bought a set of four masks off of the internet, and started with the smallest one, and immediately I could feel the difference. When I talked with my DME provider, they were more than happy to change my script to the smallest mask, and indicated that getting the wrong mask size is pretty common. I was so happy to get the DME provider on board with me. But, the result with the medium mask was that it was constantly floppy and led to mask leak. Much better with the smaller mask.
  • I didn’t realize that the air portions of the headgear are actually sized to the mask. So I was using a medium air connection with a small mask. That caused the unit to generate a lot more air than my small mask was designed for.
  • Ramping: I discovered early on that, even though they tell you (in everything) that the machine will only ramp to maximum when you are falling asleep, that is not entirely true. My machine is set to auto, but it still ramps to my personal max (at 11) at 30 minutes if I am still awake. It is just too fast when I am awake, and my headgear straps are too far forward, under my jawbone. So, I just hit the off and back on button, and that restarts the ramp process. By the time it has been another 30 minutes, I am generally falling asleep, and I just move my straps further back when I am starting to get the “face farts” - ha ha
  • I received a new, 90 day refill kit and it had the right air portions to match my mask. For the last three nights I can honestly say that I have never slept better and am starting to feel well enough to not require 10 - 12 hours of sleep a night.
    So, bottom line: Mask size must be right, all parts must match, and if it ramps too soon, just turn it off and back on to reset the ramping time. You will probably sleep much, much better. Best of luck and let us know how you are doing! Carol