ASAA Family Sites:
Sleep Apnea logo sleeptember logo

Questions on losing weight and sleep apnea

Greetings all,

I am new to the Forum, so I hope I can present this question correctly. I have been diagnosed with moderate Sleep Apnea since 2006. I am now a 59 yr old female, and recently started working out at the gym. I am trying to prevent bone density issues, so I am using a trainer to get stronger muscles which makes stronger bones. I am on good diet as well, eating lean meats and lots of veggies. Have cut waaay back on the sugars and booze, and doing my best to continue on the road to health. So far I have dropped 23 pounds, and my goal is to lose 15 more pounds.

As of late I have noticed that I am waking up with trapped air in my stomach, causing discomfort. And if I am not awakened by pain, I have a lot of burps when I do wake up from sleeping. Could the weight loss mean I need to lower the settings for my CPAP? Would it a best to just get retested for my settings? I am not sure what direction to proceed. I seem to be getting dry mouth frequently in my sleep. But I can’t tell if my mouth drops open during sleep because I am out! Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks to all in advance.:sunglasses:

Hi @rr2017 - Let me ask you first before settings question… Do you sleep on your side? If so, which side?

Thanks,
MotherT

Is sleep on side better w full mask and central apps?

Hi gregromano.

Side sleeping is better for those who have obstructive sleep apnea. Side sleeping seems to lower the number and frequency of apneas. However, we usually turn during the night and most of us with CPAP change from side sleeping to back sleeping and back to side sleeping without much ado. Sleeping on one’s stomach is a lot harder to do, and it’s nice to know that with CPAP, we don’t have to.

So, our bodies pretty much do what they want in our sleep. I just wouldn’t worry about it.