ASAA Family Sites:
Sleep Apnea logo sleeptember logo

Obstructive Sleep Apnea

Share your experiences living with obstructive sleep apnea.

I have been a nightly CPAP user for 3 years now.

When is it time to go back for sleep study to make sure settings are still working for me?
Costs are an issue, when do most insurance companies allow for a new overnight study?

Also, has anyone switched to Ultrasonic machine for cleaning equipment?
Is it worth the costs?

Steve, great questions all. I’ve been PAPing for 25 years and happy to share my opinions as a fellow patient.

Are you still waking up feeling refreshed? If so, great, keep doing what you are doing, hopefully using CPAP every night. If your apnea symptoms are returning…snoring, daytime sleepiness, memory loss, or whatever they were for YOU, then you might need a pressure increase. It’s common for us patients to need pressure changes over the years. Your machine probably downloads information, so have that data looked at by your home healthcare company. It will tell them if a pressure change might be in order and they can contact your doctor for that order.
I take my machine to my CPAP provider twice per year to have them check it with a manometer to make sure its putting out the pressure it was set for. It should be a free service. The life of a machine is about 3-5 years, although I’ve had some last 7. You want to get the longest life from your machine, so change filters regularly and have the machine pressure checked routinely.
Check with your original prescribing sleep doctor to inquire what their protocol is regarding a return to the sleep lab for titration, which is a recheck of your machine pressure setting. A return to the sleep lab for a titration can be costly. You might be able to avoid that cost by having your machine data read to determine if you CPAP pressure setting is adequate for you today vs 3 years ago.
Here’s to healthy sleep
tracy