ASAA Family Sites:
Sleep Apnea logo sleeptember logo

Night time oxygen therapy

My name is Eve. I have Central Sleep Apnea. I was on a CPAP for a while but continued to have up to 57 apneas per night. I was told that a CPAP can sometimes make Central Sleep Apnea worse. So after the 4th Sleep Lab, I was put on night time 2% oxygen. I have used it now for about 9 months. My question is…How do I know that the apneas have decreased in number. Please if anyone can answer, I would love to hear from you!

CPAP can make central apneas worse, however, 02 therapy might not be the way to go…Here’s why

We breathe based on the amount of CO2 in our blood. As the C02 rises, we take a breath, decreasing the amount of C02, and increasing the amount of 02. Now, we pause momentarily while the amount of 02 drops to the point it signals us to take a breath again.

CPAP by virtue of opening your airway, allows you to breathe, thus taking in more 02. That is where central apneas can happen. The more 02 you have, the longer the pause in breathing before you need to take a breath.

Actually, if you don’t have any heart issues, you might qualify for ASV treatment. It’s a form of PAP treatment and is specifically for central apneas.

I’d talk with your Dr. about this.

You don’t say what brand CPAP machine you’re using, so we don’t know if your CPAP machine can communicate with the ResMed “myAir” app. If you’re using a ResMed machine, please read the booklets that came with the machine to find out if it does communicate with the myAir app or not, or you can go online & Google the question, too. You can download the ResMed “myAir” app from the App Store on your device. If your machine does communicate with the myAir app, your machine will relay data every 24 hours (from 12:00 PM to 11:59 AM). The app keeps a 30 day history available for you to see of your sleep data (your doctor is able to see all the data from months ago, so don’t worry that data is getting lost. For myself, however, I take a screenshot every day I access the app so that I have a record of all my sleep myself).

The data you can see in the myAir app includes an average of the apnea events per hour for every sleep period (12:00 PM to 11:59 AM), but if you take naps or sleep in blocks of time, the data can be accessed an hour later for you to see. It will add the data within the 24 hour period together into one report. The average number of apnea events per hour is the number of actual apnea events divided by the number of hours you slept in that time period. You can do the math yourself to find out how many a actual apnea events you had, but just comparing the average from day to day will tell you how you’ve been doing lately. I don’t know how long you’ve been on O2 therapy, but if it was longer than 30 days ago, you won’t be able to see enough data to figure out whether or not it’s decreased your number of apnea events per night or not unless you contact your doctor’s office to find out. Also, if your machine does communicate with the myAir app, the first time you install it to your device & log on it will take your machine a while to transmit 30 days of data, so please be patient.

If your CPAP machine doesn’t communicate with the ResMed myAir app, however, your sleep data should still be recording your sleep data on the chip that’s usually installed somewhere on the side of your CPAP machine. Your doctor should require you to bring your chip with you for periodic appointments & his/her staff will download the data for your doctor’s review. You can ask the doctor’s office to make a copy of the report for you. I don’t know how easy or difficult it is for us lay people to read these reports, so if it’s a difficult thing, I would just ask your doctor how well or not you have been doing since being on O2 therapy.

I hope this helps you, but please ask further questions if my answer & the reply before mine haven’t clarified this issue for you.

Good luck & good health.

Hi: I am new to this blog and couldn’t find the topic about my question. I’m hoping you or someone can answer it. I just had a sleep apneatest done on 8/23. I am on oxygen 24/7 for COPD. My question is:
Why would the testers reduce my oxygen during the night until it was at zero liters ? (I am on 4 liters) My oxygen level dropped to 68%. It slowly went down during the 6 hour test.
Thank you. :slight_smile: