ASAA Family Sites:
Sleep Apnea logo sleeptember logo

Nearly a year and no definitive result

I have been on a Resmed machine for nearly a year. The results are still not good.
At night I wake up due to mask leaks, a feeling of no air or dry mouth.

During the day without CPAP, I fall asleep. Originally 20 minutes was my target. Lately I have been known to sleep 2 hours - even after about 6 hours the night before.

I vary from 5 or 6 apneas to 16 on various nights - all obstructive apneas. Lately I started having “dry mouth” again. I have the humidity level set at 4 and the tube temp at 81 degrees. If I happen to get a good night sleep, the reservoir empties 3/4 or the water.

What other settings can I vary to improve the situation?

Len

Hi @Len
We can discuss the apnea, but need to ask --do you ever get more than 6 hours of sleep? Is it on purpose, or is it all the sleep you are able to have?

It took me and my sleep team 6 months of experimentation to find the right combination of mask and air pressure settings to find the sweet spot for me. I ended up having to use a full face mask and a constant pressure of 15 mm Hg.

After we found the correct combination, my AHI and sleep quality improved significantly.

@jsaltenb
So glad for the persistence of you and your sleep team! Success!

You did not mention whether you use a full facial mask or not. You might try putting a coat of aloevera arround the leaking areas, (Works for me, I had the same problem). Here we are in the 21st century yet have NO FORM FIT MASKS.Write your mask maker, gripe, have a mask burning demonstration in front of the DC capitol, and I will join you.