ASAA Family Sites:
Sleep Apnea logo sleeptember logo

Latest oximeter findings

Was diagnosed with mild OSA (AHI of 12.5) in late 2012. I had also been diagnosed with a deviated septum since 2001 which in time I believe has worsened.

Here are my findings using a ChoiceMed W11SM pulse oximeter:

NO TREATMENT (external nasal strip only):
Avg Sp02 <88: 180
Avg event level: 84
Lowest level: 81
Other: morning hypertension

BIPAP+ external nasal strip :
Avg Sp02 <88: 56
Avg event level: 86
Lowest level: 84
Other: morning hypertension; chronic dry mouth following usage; mouth-breathing because could not breathe through nose

OASYS ORAL DEVICE (OSA mandibular advancement device) + external nasal strip:
Avg Sp02 <88: 389
Avg event level: 82
Lowest level: 80
Other: morning hypertension; transient intermittent TMJ/TMD after a few night usage

O2 CONCENTRATOR + external nasal strip :
Avg Sp02 <88: 16
Avg event level: 85
Lowest level: 78
Other: morning hypertension, but better

Conclusions:

1. Pulse rate spikes in the majority of desaturation events but not in all cases; can be immediate spike in PR or a gradual response to varying levels of desaturation or sometimes with no desaturation at all.

2. 02 + external nasal strip resulted in 12 out of 34 sessions with Sp02 of 88 or greater. There was a much higher average >95 Sp02 than with the other treatments. I suspect <88 Sp02 results are mostly due to transient nasal congestion.

3. By far, the 02 concentrator direct to the nostrils via cannula @ a 4-5+ setting with humidifier cup attachment + external nasal strip produces the best results and the least desaturation events <88 (most consistent 02 @ 98).

Although I have not had a followup polysomnography to confirm 100%, my preliminary findings would indicate that my intermittent nocturnal hypoxia/hyponeas stem from my nasal obstruction/constriction/congestion mainly due to the deviated septum and possible rhinosinusitis due to airborne allergens.

My ENT doc was right all along when all the other docs said a deviated septum/nasal congestion does not cause OSA. This goes to show that not all OSA is related to soft tissue/throat issues.

Would welcome any additional input.

sounds like a classic case of UARS
Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome
which leads to flow limitation

My ENT agreed with the diagnosis on my sleep study (mild OSA). When asked whether it could be UARS, the answer was no. If it was, then would the oral appliance have addressed that, as it actually caused an increase in events <88 Sp02? Bottom line is that the 02 nasal cannula treatment seems to produce the best results thus far, although still not 100% perfect every night.

I would appreciate learning what model of choicemed pulse oximeter you are using. Does it upload data to your computer? If so, what program is used on the computer itself? What is the operating system on your computer.

I have tried two different Contec CMS50F oximeters and have never gotten either of my oximeters to upload data into the SpO2 Assistant program.

I have suffered from partially treated sleep apnea for years and hope to improve my treatment by pulse oximetry use. I just need to

Continuing my previous post:

I just need to get a pulse oximeter that will work with my Windows 7 version 2 HP laptop. Or to purchase a computer that will work with pulse oximeter software.