ASAA Family Sites:
Sleep Apnea logo sleeptember logo

Is there anyone else out there that uses a dental device for their mild to moderate sleep apnea

Hi,
I’m new here and was wondering if there is anyone else here that uses a dental device for sleep apnea not to be confused with snoring device.

I was recently fitted with a mouth guard for nighttime teeth grinding (not necessarily for apnea). I’ve been using it about two months now. I wear it with my mask and chinstrap.

I don’t but my best friend does. I’ve got one but it hasn’t been treated

What do you want to know?

I recently went to a new dentist. He also has sleep apnea and he showed me the one he uses for himself. He explained how it works and, of course, suggested I get one. I am considering it, but it is expensive ($2500). It works by holding the jaw forward which opens the throat air passage. In the beginning it is adjusted gradually so your jaw can get used to being held forward. If you get one from a dentist it is fitted exactly to your mouth and teeth. If you are considering getting one, find a dentist who has done them already.
I don’t know if Medicare or any other insurance will cover the cost. But it certainly would be easier to use than being attached to a mask and tube all night long.

Just wondered if anyone else here was using one.

Carolh ,
I just started using one. I trust my Dentist . Insurance covers some of price of them.

There are plenty of data suggesting the oral appliances are successful for people. Nice that there are choices for treatment! People will use their preference, and that is great!

Thanks. I will find out about my insurance offers coverage for one. I would love to have an alternative to a CPAP machine.

Miki, I know you just started using it, but have you found that it has made a difference in your ability to sleep? Maybe you need more time before you know for sure. I’m also wondering how it will affect my teeth, and my jaw.

I have been using oral appliances (and PAP devices) for apnea for about 20 years. Depending on your situation oral appliances can work as well as a PAP, but not as universally as a PAP machine. They range from $1000 to $3000 for medical grade appliances. The older designs moved my teeth around. The newer ones are better about that. It also has to do with what the titration is: meaning if the device has to move your jaw way forward to work, it’s more likely to stress your jaw. or move teeth. One thing to keep in mind. If you are able to breathe via your nose, oral appliances work. If you are not able to do so, you will likely struggle to breathe. An oral appliance repositions your tongue but does not assist the upper airway in the nose. There are strategies to help with nasal breathing like decongestants, anti-inflammatory diets, and nasal strips. I’ll point out a key concept. It is very important to breathe via your nose as it releases chemicals that dilate the airway and cardiovascular system. Mouth breathing is generally worse for apnea. So in that sense, oral appliances help with nose breathing by keeping your mouth closed at night.

I use a retainer. My mouth feels foul when I wake up; I think due to the dryness.

@jmatheny See this recent thread: Mild Sleep Apnea

I’m not trying to offend you but do you use Dental write? Thats what I use.

I use a dental device in conjunction with back exercises to treat my sleep apnea. I have written up how I do this on my website:
http://paul.klink.id.au/Health/SleepApnea/

Thanks for sharing your personal website.

Actually, there are literally hundreds of thousands of people in the U.S.A. treating their OSA with oral sleep apnea appliances. The larger manufacturers of the appliances sell between 30,000 to 40,000 a year in the USA alone. A.B. Luisi, Jr., D.M.D.