ASAA Family Sites:
Sleep Apnea logo sleeptember logo

Introduce Yourself

Hi everyone. Just saying hello. I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea in May. I think it is the mixed type. I still haven’t seen a doctor for follow up, only got the report in the male and prescription for CPAP. I started my CPAP in June at a pressure of 6 cm/H2O and I think it’s been helping but it’s taken awhile to get used to. I find that cleaning it has been a pain too and sometimes I skip a night because I get too tired to clean it, or I fall asleep on the couch or something. I also have had issues with traveling this summer and being compliant. It’s somewhat of a hassle as I’m sure you all realize.

Welcome @MarkS !! Happy you are joining us.
Sorry you ran into travel issues this summer. Just curious, was it air travel or roadway?

sleep is erratic, sometimes elusive other times overtaking me unexpectedly, not restful, rarely longer than 5 hours at a stretch. I’ve recently been diagnosed with sleep apnea (which I suspected for some time but did not have the resources to test for) and possibly a few other sleep disorders that addressing sleep apnea might fix. Mostly, I’m concerned with chronic shortness of breath that slows me down.

About the introduction part, I turn 74 in a few weeks, live alone (so I can’t answer questions about what I do in my sleep) in an apartment in senior housing in Yuma Colorado. I moved here two years ago from Central New Mexico when my daughter and husband moved here (back home for him) on his retirement and brought me with them. I’m on social media, have blogged a lot but have fallen somewhat out of the habit.

New to Forum and sleep apnea, I want to get my bearings before If I contribute to (let alone improve) the conversation. If I see a place to ask a question, I will ~ until then, I plan to start out in lurking and learning mode.

Vanessa Vaile
Life in the Manor and points west

Happy you have joined our community, @vanessa.vaile - You are very welcome to lurk! :-):smiley:

is ok with my CPAP machine . I have been using it about 3 weeks. This week the brain fog has been worse than ever. Is always in the morning and usually y goes away after a couple hours but this week is lasting all day. Is the pressure on my machine wrong. The sleep study had it at 7 and I have been increasing it periodically depending how I felt. Right now its at 9.5. A little sad by the brain fog

@Douglas1 - Do you notice any leaks from the mask?

Thank you @MotherT for welcoming me.

As is my wont as a “guerrilla informationist” (great hobby for retired educators and other information junkies), I’m researching and collecting online resources, articles and videos on sleep issues, already addressed peripherally in larger “aging” (because I am) and “breathing” (because there is no aging without it) information projects.

Yes actually, last night noticed it for the first time. I have been using the Philips under the nose mask and it seems to leak a good bit especially if you turn the wrong way in bed. I have a mask that goes over the nose and am going to try that.

Hi Doug,

First of all, you shouldn’t be adjusting the air pressure by yourself. The reason for this is that if the pressure gets too high, your brain will get tricked into thinking you have enough oxygen, and it will tell you not to breathe few a few seconds. These are called central apneas, and can be disrupting to your sleep.

I also have a few questions:
Are you currently using a full face mask?
Do you have any facial hair?
Do you have any nasal congestion?
Also, are you taking any medications that could contribute to your brain fog?

OK I will put the pressure back to where the sleep study said at 7. No facial hair. No congestion. I was using under the nose only mask and am now using a over the nose only mask. No medications but am taking a herb combination pill of valerian and melatonin before bed.

Hi Don.arata, My name is Doug and have been on a CPAP for about 3 weeks my problem right now is the brain fog from the time I wake up until noon or later. Have you had the brain fog problem?

Hi Doug, I used to have the brain fog problem until my sleep doc prescribed Provigl for me. It is for sleep a penalty patients and shift workers. It takes the away the brain fog allows you to focus better. Ask you sleep doc about it. They do call it prescription speed, but it does not do that to me. Goodluck.

Hi Rudolph here, I’m a quiet lurker on this forum, reading, learning for quite sometime. I have a slight snoring problem but not yet diagnosed with apnea although a friend of mine has been using the machine for a long time. I want to learn from others what gives them a great sleep without any obstruction. Cheers

Hi Rudolph! Thanks for being a loyal forum reader!

I have heard various methods people have tried over the years for success in keeping the upper airway clear when they still only have slight snoring.

Some keep their necks in a perfect alignment with certain pillows, thus putting the upper airway in the perfect position for unobstructed breathing. (I will repost a previous message about this next).

Some people sleep in recliner chairs and use a neck pillow to avoid sore necks in the morning from their heads relaxing over to the side once sleep begins. Sitting up like that keeps the airway aligned, and so does the neck pillow.

Adhesive nasal strips are another option for slight snoring. Sometimes a deviated septum is the culprit there.

Keep abreast of your snoring situation. If it gets worse, seek medical attention because snoring is the “cousin” of sleep apnea-- most times apnea begins after some time has passed.

Best of luck and thank you for reading and posting!

Sleep well…Be well!
Theresa

My name is Fabio, I’ve been using the dream mask for about 6 months.

Hi Fabio @azfabio - Just wondering- Have you had a mask replacement yet?

Hi MotherT, no i have not had a mask replacement yet.

Hi @azfabio - The text below is from the audio portion of this slide above. I use it for patient education. I hope it is useful for you!!

Many PAP users don’t realize that most of the supplies associated with sleep therapy are designed to be disposable. Masks, tubing, filters, and headgear are not designed to last a long time, and using them past their recommended lifespan can actually jeopardize your PAP therapy. For instance, delicate mask cushions can develop leaks.
Clogged filters can allow dust and pollen to be delivered into your airway.
Over-stretched headgear can require extreme tightening, causing pressure point pain.

The disposables such as the mask, headgear, tubing, cushions, filters and water chamber will need to be replaced on a regular interval to maintain optimal therapy and ensure that the PAP device will last for years to come.

Some HME suppliers mail postcard reminders when it is time for replacements. You can take note of this schedule if you have not received any notice from your supplier.

Have used cpap for about 20 yrs no have New bipap. Have occasional question

Welcome to all new forum members! Hi @basken !