ASAA Family Sites:
Sleep Apnea logo sleeptember logo

Introduce Yourself

Hello everyone. I am new to using a cpap. I had a sleep study done over a month ago. I have been on ambien for some years. I walked into my doctor office and she said I was deprived of sleep. So here I am. Thanks for letting me join. It is nice to know I am not along. I am reading everything in order to understand how cpap machines and numbers work work. You all have some very important information that has helped.
Sleep is important.

Hello everyone. I am new to using a cpap. I had a sleep study done over a month ago. I have been on ambien for some years. I walked into my doctor office and she said I was deprived of sleep. So here I am. Thanks for letting me join. It is nice to know I am not along. I am reading everything in order to understand how cpap machines and numbers work work. You all have some very important information that has helped.
Sleep is important.
[/quote]

@dgaines_12 Welcome to our community! Glad to hear you are reading everything. It empowers you to be in charge of your sleep disorder!

Cheers!
MotherT

Hi everyone. Rick from Knit Health. We are developing non-intrusive alternatives to Polysomnography in pediatric patients. Looking to network with researchers or patient advocates working with Pediatric Sleep Apnea, ADHD, and sleep disordered breathing issues.

Hi everyone. I came to this site to gain better understanding from those who read and post here about Cpap therapy. I was diagnosed with moderate to severe sleep apnea over 7 years ago.

I use a ResMed Air 10 machine. I now have a no mask device which has been an improvement over any of the former harness devices I’ve used in the past. I closely monitor my daily readouts since the beginning of March to check overall score and number of apnea events each hour. The last 3 nights have shown an increase in the number of events from 4.5, 6.6 to 7.4. Before then, my apnea events per hour were below 5 on a regular basis. There doesn’t seem to be a correlation between the severity of leaks and my overall scores when compared to ‘event’ per hour rate.

Sleep is for the most part good. I wear my device for at least 7 hours each night. I am 64 years old. I exercise for 90 minutes on a daily basis. I weigh 202 lbs. and am 6’1".

Hi @roger , Thanks for sharing. Have you spoken to your prescribing physician about your readouts? Is it your physician or your home medical equipment (HME) provider that is managing your readouts?

You read my mind. I plan to call my physician in the morning to get his thoughts / advice. I’ll have one more night to see if I’m able to reduce the number of events. My HME does control the air pressure. Maybe it’s too low. Have you heard of many patients who have the NoMask device?

Thank you so much for responding to my introductory message.

Hi Roger @roger! So glad you are calling the physician! I personally do not know anyone that uses the NoMask, however it is very similar to a hybrid device that came out a number of years back. The nasal prongs are what some of us call “nasal pillows,” and they work very well for some people. If you develop any pressure sores in your nostrils, get back with me. I have a few tips :slight_smile: I can be reached at MotherT@sleepapnea.org

Please do let me know what your doctor tells you! :slight_smile:
Sleep well,
Theresa

Hi, I am 74 years old male. I am married with two grown children. I am a very blessed man. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea about 10 years ago. I use a full face mask (Resmed) and use it every night. I have had several difficulties with it over the years i.e. leakage, it failed to resolve the problem of falling asleep during the day when inactive such as sitting in a waiting room, watching TV or attending church service. I have been through about 5-6 sleep studies at Baptist Hospital here locally. They all indicate that I stop breathing during the night. The change the setting on the machine and we go from there. However, for the entire period since I was diagnosed I have continued to have difficulty staying awake as indicated above. I do not have a problem when driving or any other activity that requires me to react mechanically. I also have a humidifier which helps tremendously. I use Bio Tech mouth wash prior going to bed to ease the dry mouth issue.

@luggage Thank you for posting. One thing I wondered when reading your post was the size of your mask and if it had ever been changed. Some leaking is common with a full face mask due to the larger surface area they need to cover, however, your falling asleep when sitting still is curious. Just a thought, but have you ever had the size of the mask checked or changed, perhaps compared to another size? I look forward to hearing from you!

My name is Jerry and I have had trouble wearing masks and getting any kind of decent sleep for years.Nothing worked no matter what I tried and was always tired.Severe snorer and my sleep study number was 84.I recently have finally got things dialed in I think and maybe I can help somebody else.I got one of the newer machines but the mask was the crucial part.They were always uncomfortable so I picked one I had never tried before.It goes under the nose and around the mouth.I found out any pressure around the bridge of my nose kept me awake.My routine is I take a natural supplement called Alterill an hour before i go to sleep and read a book(no videos or smartphone).Also I learned chemicals like tobacco and alcohol can keep you awake.Sleep is essential to feeling alive and normal,going around tired all the time sucks!I dont really understand though why I always feel disoriented when I wake up and drooling can be an issue

Hi Jerry,

Are you taking any medications that might cause the disorientation and drooling?

Just a mood stabilizer I’ve never had problems with and the natural stuff(Alterill).

I am eating all the time now too and starting to put on some unwanted weight

How long have you been waking up feeling disoriented, and drooling? And did it happen at the same time?

Do you have any other symptoms?

Hi. I’m a 67 yr old female with severe sleep apnea. I have a bipap machine & am a mouth breather. I HATE HATE wearing my mask. The head gear gives me a headache. I drool inside the mask which makes me wake up feeling like I am drowning. I wake up with panic attacks that I can’t breathe. I’ve tried different masks. My doctors tell me I’m killing myself by not wearing it. Please, please does anyone out there have any ideas to help me?

Hi Pat,

There are a few other options available out there. Depending on the severity and type of your sleep apnea, there are oral appliances or surgical procedures that can effectively treat your OSA.

Best thing for you to do is talk with your Dr. about your concerns. Here are a couple links to help you have an informed conversation.

http://www.sleepeducation.org/treatment-therapy/surgery/surgical-procedures

http://www.alaskasleep.com/blog/dental-appliances-for-sleep-apnea

Let me know how things go.

Sleep is my most precious resource. Having a diagnosed condition of severe SA my use of CPAP is central to my clarity of thought and overall health. I am part of the Sleep Apnea Patient Centered Open Network (SAPCON) and am actively involved as a patient advocate in Boston.
I attended SLEEP2017 as a member of AASM and found the Learning Lounge an eye opening event.
I encourage everyone involved as a patient, caregiver, clinician, scientist, technician or device supplier to collaborate with others in this important work. Let’s support each other and move the insights into improved sleep forward together.

Welcome aboard, Mark. It’s good to have you here.

Thank you

Mark Hanson