ASAA Family Sites:
Sleep Apnea logo sleeptember logo

Introduce Yourself

Hi, my name is Ken. What brings me here is, I need help to get a apap machine. I have medi cal for insurance. I can’t work due to back surgeries and other health problems. I have recently been diagnosed with severe central sleep apnea along with restless leg syndrome. I’m 52 not over weight. I have irratic heart beat,anxiety,depression,arthritus, acid reflux,insomnia,adhd,memory problems,sinus problems,chronic pain and probably bi polar. I had a machine and used it but was having mask problems. I seen my PA and he recommended to the insurance company that I was using it and needed to find a mask that fit properly. Well the place that issued the machine came an took it back with out explanation. They said that I could make payments in order to keep it. I have no way possible to make any sort of payment. I don’t work and am on CalWorks. Please, I need help to get a machine at no cost. I don’t want to die, as of yet. Sleep is very important to me, for health reasons and just to be able function.

Hi Ken @BarneyRubble, Val from ASAA will be contacting you shortly!

Thanks,
MotherT

Hi Mother T,
I seen your post and am curious and anxious to hear back from you.

@BarneyRubble - Val has gone home from work for today as it is after office hours where she lives. She will contact you tomorrow, so rest easy! She ( @valerie.danielson ) has a solution for you!

Thanks,
Theresa

Hi Ken, I have emailed you. Thank you, Val

Sleep is nonexistent at this point. It’s only been a week but I don’t know how to get used to this cpap so I can get some sleep. I’m looking for other people who will just understand the difficulties that someone who new to using a cpap and possibly some advice on how to make it better so I can get some sleep. Thank you

@casai407 - What is bothering you most about the CPAP? Air rushing? Claustrophobia? Leaks? Please let me know so I can better advise you. Hang in there! We will help you. If you want to speak to me privately, feel free to email MotherT@sleepapnea.org

Best,
MotherT

I’m using the dreamwear pillow system, it is annoying just having anything restrictive on my face but what bothers me most is that I can’t sleep on my stomach. I’ve slept on my stomach for as long as I can remember. I was told today by my Dr’s nurse that I wasn’t supposed to sleep on my stomach anyway. I even find it hard to sleep on my side. I do have problems with the claustrophobia, I just hate the feel of the equipment on my face, I can’t imagine having a full mask. The air rushing is only a problem if my mouth falls open, which I don’t seem to have much of a problem with. I don’t think there is much anyone can do, I guess at some point I’ll get tired enough that I’ll fall asleep. Any advice will help and thank you for listening.

Ok, here is what we will do: I can talk you through these problems. I have your email address (from your forum signup) so I will contact you there with my number, and we can set up a time to talk. Don’t give up!! We will work on this together, okay?

MotherT

Thank you so much.

@casai407 - I emailed you a few hours back. Just let me know. If it is too late for tonight (depending on your time zone), we can try tomorrow evening :slight_smile:

@MotherT – I’m in Virginia so it’s pretty late here now. I’ll be home all day tomorrow if you want to try. Not sure where you are but let me know what’s a good time for you and I’ll be sure to be available.
Thanks again.

@casai407 - We are the same time zone! Yay!
Did you get my email? Just leave your number there on an email :slight_smile:
Good night!

I don’t know a lot about how this works, but if I reply to you on this my phone number won’t show up on the forum will it?

Yes. Do you not have access to the email address you signed up with? That is there I was contacting you with private info.

Good morning all. I am so excited to become a part of this community. I was feeling very alone with my sleep issues, so am looking forward to learning more about how to conquer this demon called sleep apnea!
I was diagnosed originally back to 2004 and was given a CPAP w/full face mask. Needless to say it was a disaster. I lasted 2 weeks and gave up. Recently switched insurance and while going through the initial physical sleep was discussed. Lo and behold, I am now on BIPAP with nasal pillows, and so far ( 3 weeks ) I am tolerating it well.
To finish your requested sentence: Sleep is a mystery to me.

@Bellakate1 Welcome to the fold! So happy you are here! Bravo for toleration success! If you need anything specific that you would rather ask privately, you may email me at MotherT@sleepapnea.org

My name’s Kent Caylor, and I’ve been doing sleep studies since May 2006. Before that, I was a nurse working mainly in long-term care.

I really enjoy the medical field, but got to the point where I wanted to help people in a way that didn’t involve medicine. So I became registered as a Sleep Technologist, and have found my dream career :slightly_smiling_face:

Assisting people who struggle with sleep disorders live a more healthy, enriching life is a service I thoroughly enjoy. I look forward to getting involved in this forum.

Hi @kentcaylor - Welcome. I will be emailing you about the forum. Thank you for wanting to help others!~

Sleep well…Be well,
Theresa

Thanks for your response, Mother T!