ASAA Family Sites:
Sleep Apnea logo sleeptember logo

Introduce Yourself

Looking to see if the problems I am having using my Cpap others are too, and to get possible resolution or suggestions. I started using my Res med 10 Airsense in the summer of 2015. For about awhile I was getting the needed therapy and sleeping well. Then I started getting multiple sinus infections even though I cleaned it religiously. I decided to get the so clean machine hoping that would help to no avail. I also wake up often with dry mouth which I’m thinking might be causing my colds and infections.

Hi…I’m actually returning to the ASAA Forum after a 3 year or more hiatus. My CPAP treatment has given so much to me that I want to give something back in return.

Currently, I use the Phillips Respironics System One Auto CPAP with an unheated hose and my humidifier set on 3. I believe in the middle of the road. I’m 6 years down the 'pike with CPAP. I’m hooked on it for life. My pressure range is 7 to 12 and my ramp is set for 5 minutes starting at 7 cm. I use the Swift FX For Her Nasal Pillows Mask, which I love. It’s pink, you see. I love all things pink. My hose and mask is suspended over my head with a hose buddy. I use a travel hose buddy when I’m away from home. This keeps me from getting all tangled up in my hose-ery, so to speak. I have a snuggle hose on my hose. It’s pink and fuzzy and, well…who doesn’t need a “cuddly” at bedtime? It matches my mask. What could be more perfect?

Ok…bedtime…there are many things involved in my bedtime ritual because I’m dealing with numerous other chronic conditions. First, the nightie. Then I must prep the sleeping area. Hearing aids go in the dry storage box and turned on, CPAP machine gets plugged in and a new supply of distilled water in my humidifier for the night. I hold down my on-button for 3 seconds to get the water warm-up cycle going. I get by with half filled and never run dry. Gotta do the legs and feet - the zipping off of the compression hose and lotioning down the dry skin, the cleansing of my dry eyes, the testing of my blood sugar, the taking of my medications, the Qtipping (gently, of my ears, for wax), teeth and mouth management, long hair up in a high ponytail, a dab of AYR gel in each nostril and the applying of nighttime Systane gel into each of my dry eyes. Are you out of breath yet? Then I turn out the lights and head to bed where my husband is already curled up with his CPAP. Yup…we are “dualies” who seem to do everything in this life together. I climb in bed, slip the mask over my ponytail and into my nose with one swipe, turn slightly to my right to turn on my machine and I lay back awhile thinking about the day and just being thankful for my treatment until I turn over on my side and drift off into sleep land. It’s magic…pure magic.

Sleep is just about the most wonderful thing there is in this life when it’s done well - and CPAP helps me do just that.

Ok…'nuf said for now…I’ll see you on the other side. Zzzzzzzzzz.

Hi, My user name is Karaokegal and I joined this group because I was diagnosed with sleep apnea last January. I have had a hug struggle and am working on my 3rd mask. I have not slept through the night since I started using the CPAP. I know how important it is because my oxygen levels drop into the 70’s, but I am about ready to give up. I hope I will find the support here that I need, to keep going.

Welcome, @karaokegal Don’t give up! Do you have any questions? What is the problem you are experiencing with the latest mask?

I was just diagnosed with sleep apnea and am having a hard time adjusting to using the CPAP machine and wearing the mask every night (Dreamwear nasal mask).

I really hate that I have to look so unattractive every night but am afraid not to use it since my doctor told me that my oxygen level goes down to 75 and I stop breathing approx 19 times per hour!

Any helpful suggestions? Thanks!

Paul you can order one from Amazon at a great price. I got the Dreamwear nasal mask for $61. You can get a CPAP machine for a few hundred dollars. Good luck!

Hello fellow dream-chasers,

I was diagnosed with severe OSA back in 2012. 6 years later, I’m 50 lbs. heavier, and desperately trying to work on improving my health. And for this reason, I am seeking support from a community who might understand what I’m going through.

Current sleep pattern cycles between okay, bad, and worse.

Sleep is like a tinder date. No matter how often you swipe right, it won’t connect.

Hello! My name is Marsha Johnson

What brings you to our community?
I was just diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea today, following a sleep study. I had had problems with excessive daytime sleepiness for years, but because I always slept in my own room, I had no one to tell me I was snoring. In the past few years, due to feeling tired, I started having problems with depression, which ended up getting me put on disability. I am glad now to finally have an answer for these problems of the past few years.

Tell us about your current sleep routine?
It’s all over the place. I will often wake up after a few hours of sleep, feeling nervous and hot, and just all around weird. And it would be impossible to go back to sleep right away. Because of this, the times I go to sleep often shift and I can have multiple sleep periods in a day.

Sleep is very important to me.

Welcome, @beneficii
Happy to see you here!

Hello, I’m Robert from South Florida, I have been recently diagnosed with Sever Sleep Apnea and my measurements are very high that it concerns me. The 30+ scale is nothing when I have on average 67 non-breathing events in regular sleep and 84 on average during REM sleep which last beyond the norm to 30 - 60 seconds per episode.

Now that we know this I went for the CPAP study and now have to wait even longer to get results to move forward. I’m actually very scared as reading all the studies and the severity in which I was diagnosed why this process is taking so long.

Discussing this with my doctor, the Apnea is also a cause of many other issues that I face. Having to take a pill just to stay awake during the day is alarming and I literally crash when I get home.

My question is, When your diagnosed with such high numbers, why can’t the CPAP portion be fast tracked? I’m very much afraid to go to sleep at night.

Thank You and I look forward to reading through the site and comments.

Sleep is very Important to me.

Hello, my name is Andrea and I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. This summer, I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea and was put on a BiPap machine. I’ve been using it about a month and I’m generally frustrated!

The mask I’m using and the headgear are uncomfortable. I have problems with leaks and I wake often to adjust the mask. I chose a supply company that’s an hour drive and was told I had 30 days to exchange masks, which I did once. I did switch to the Phillips Amara View, because my husband wears that mask. I’m a mouth breather.

I was hoping for miracles, but even though I do feel slightly better during the day, by early evening I often feel “sick-tired” and need to nap.

I’m not confident that the pressure set on my machine is correct and I confess I’ve lowered the maximum pressure.

I was interested to hear that there is a group that might help with finding the right mask.

Hello Everyone,

I was diagnosed today with severe osa. I must admit to being very freaked out because I consider myself to be a healthy, active 60 something year old. I also teach public health at a local college, so I’m relatively familiar with what it takes to be healthy at any age. So, even though I have not had a good nights sleep in 15 years, I am very taken aback by the diagnosis.

My current sleep routine is the fall asleep watching late night TV and getting up around 9:00 am. I never remember a time in my life when I have woken up refreshed. I can’t define what sleep is because it eludes me.

I will be getting my machine in the next few weeks and I have mixed emotions. On one hand I know that it will make it harder for me to stay asleep but I also long for a great night of rest. I will be pretty nervous until this is sorted out. Now, I am actually afraid to go to bed, that I might not wake up because of 40 episodes of no breathing. Is what I am feeling normal? I have been blessed to never have had a life changing illness before. I know I have been lucky and don’t want to complain but here I am!

Monica

Hi @Monica
Thanks for sharing your story. I am giving you my email. Please contact me there: MotherT@sleepapnea.org
Do not despair…You are not alone :slight_smile:

Hello my name is Brian…I found this community while searching for ways to stop leaks…

I have been with my cpap for 10 years…recently upped my pressure to 17 and am having tons of problems with leaks on my full face mask, the nasal one does not leak but I mouth breathe and snore…

Sleep for me is the devil’s mistress…lol

Hi @bjs852 Brian, Welcome!

Was wondering if you have tried another brand of full face mask? Which one are you using that leaks?

Hi Robert,

Sorry for the late response. Hope all is well. If you are able to sleep on your side or with your head elevated, your breathing wont be as bad.

I appreciate the fact that you are so concerned for your health, as this will likely insure that you’ll use your cpap. I’m a Sleep Technologist with 12 yrs experience and want you to know you can reach out to me with any questions. I’l try to be more diligent in responding to you.

Hi Monica,
I can appreciate your concern. On of the worst bedtime habits is to fall asleep with the t.v on The bed room should only be for sleep or sex.

The problem with a t.v. on is the light comming from the screen will cause your circadian rhythm to get out of synch, even with your eyes closed. This cn ead to poor quality sleep. So try falling asleep without the t.v. If you need some white noise, use a fan or some white noise machine. Or if you can turn the picture off on the t.v. but stil have sound, that would be acceptable as well.

Thank You so much for your reply! Just tested with a BiPap and waiting for results.

Hi,
I was diagnosed with Complex Sleep Apnea about a month ago via Polysomnography in a sleep lab. My AHI was >45. Have to say shocked the heck out of me. I ended up doing the testing due to increased palpation so my cardiologist asked if I snore and I replied “most of my life”. He suggested a sleep study. Long story short I thought being fatigued was just part of my normal. I am healthy except for the Sleep Apnea. I go to sleep about 10pm and wake up alot. Sometimes short of breath but I never thought it was Apnea. I have now fallen down the rabbit hole into a whole new world. I had my second Polysomnography a week ago for my first CPAP fitting. Kept dreaming I was in a Sand storm as my lips peeled back from teeth from the pressure to keep my airway open and a really dry mouth. They asked how I slept…ummmm. Not great. Hooked up to wires and a CPAP in a strange bed. Not the best of situations for rest. Had one heck of a headache and can you say bloated! Next step is to receive my CPAP machine. I can’t imagine what it would feel like to feel to be completely rested. The song “Its a whole new world” keeps going through my head. Not sure if I will be lucky and the first CPAP will work or it will be a process of trial and error. Thats why I joined this forum. So so many questions. To finish the sentence sleep is…challenging. I am not sure what sleep is since I have never really experienced true sleep I believe.
Thanks