ASAA Family Sites:
Sleep Apnea logo sleeptember logo

Introduce Yourself

Sleep. :sleeping:
It should be simple concept, but really it’s an education of diverse and complex issues.

From sleep deprivation to sleep disorders, we’re talking about it.

Thank you for being part of the conversation with us. Please introduce yourself.

What brings you to our community?

Tell us about your current sleep
routine?

Finish this sentence: “Sleep is
_____________.”

Hello! First things first

Tell us about your current sleep routine?

Sleep is (Fill in the blank).

2 posts were split to a new topic: CPAP Intro

“Sleep is frustrating, elusive, diabolical…my best friend and my worst enemy.”

Hello, everyone. My name is Kirk. I’ve had difficulty sleeping since I was in high school, but it’s only really started affecting my health in the past ten years. I went to a sleep clinic about ten years ago and was diagnosed with mild apnea. I read that being overweight makes the apnea worse, so about three years ago I decided to lose weight through diet and exercise. I’d lost about ten pounds in the first month when I tore my Achilles tendon. It’s all been downhill from there. I’m 45 years old, but I feel like I’m hovering around 70. I’m technically asleep for about 5-6 hours each night but it feels like it’s only been 45 minutes. I have serious difficulty falling asleep but no problem sleeping through alarms.

I’m researching buying a CPAP machine and have found a few that look like decent devices. It was actually through this research that I found this site. I was hoping that someone could recommend a good permanent CPAP as well as a good travel machine. I was recently told that if you bought a cpap machine, you’d never be able to change the settings. I’m also wondering if this is correct. Also, I’m normally a side sleeper, but I found myself on my stomach when I woke up today, so I basically shift around.

I live in Taiwan, but I’m going back to the states in four days. Seeing an ENT tomorrow to get a sleep clinic night set up (but I might have to wait a month or more). Insurance will cover the ENT visit and the sleep clinic trials, but not the CPAP machine itself, which is prohibitively expensive in this country.

Three questions:

1. Trustworthy permanent bedside CPAP machine. (voltage - Taiwan almost everything is 110)
    2.Trustworthy portable/travel CPAP machine.(voltage)
  2. Can the settings on a CPAP machine be adjusted, or is it true that once it leaves the retailer, it can never be adjusted again.

Thanks for any help and input.

"

CPAP Purchasing Questions | Does your machine do this?

Hello @kirkulese! Thanks for taking the time to post! If it’s okay I’m going to break your questions in a new post in our Sleep Apnea group. Until then, safe travels to the states. Give us an update on your adventure when you have a chance. -CC

A post was merged into an existing topic: CPAP Purchasing Questions | Does your machine do this?

hello, I’m here to find out a bit more information about apnea. I was diagnosed a couple years ago. my cpap is no longer set to my current sleep study needs. Sleep to me is the epitome of a positive outlook. I’m starving for a goodnights sleep

Welcome @snorebgone :slight_smile:
Thanks for taking the time to post.
Please check out this area on the site: http://talk.sleeptember.org/c/sleephealth/sleep-apnea
Let us know what questions you have! Sincerely, CC

A post was split to a new topic: Central Apnea Question

Hello. I am Michael G. Nathans, co-founder and CEO of WhisperSom. My interest is raising awareness of the health danger and high cost of un-treated sleep apnea; coping with CPAP; alternative diagnosis and treatment options; and the “sleep divorce” that can be avoided from loud snoring.

Fortunately, my personal sleep routine is good, as far as I know. This said, I am about to get a 5 night baseline with an HST. Fingers crossed for no or low AHI.

Sleep is grace.

Hello. My name is Dave.

I got an email invitation. Prior to that I did not know about the community.

Tell us about your current sleep
routine?

I have been diagnosed with both OSA and CSA. I have been on CPAP, BIPAP, and now Auto Adaptive (pseudo ventilator) PAP for at least seven years. There is no way I could get any sleep at all (my initial titration showed an arousal every 90 seconds all night long) without my machine. I wear it all night long and whenever I take a nap. Right now, I’m struggling with mask leaks. I use a Quatro, full-face with Pad-a-Cheek liners. I’m looking at other masks and liners. Lately, I’ve been in bed between nine and twelve hours.

Sleep is . . . not as easy as it sounds. “Did you sleep well?” “No, I screwed it up several times.”

Hello, I’m Lisa

I’m 47, I was diagnose with sever OSA in 2009. I’ve had 3 surgeries and 6 sleep studies. I am currently on cpap and seeing a new doctor who is sending me in for my 7th study.

What brings you to our community? I received an invite by email and I want to connect to others like me.

Tell us about your current sleeproutine? I can’t wait to go to sleep and pray that I will feel better tomorrow. I have moderate sleep apnea and am currently on cpap

Finish this sentence: “Sleep that is good is something so rare. Waking up with headaches and extreme exhaustion is not."
[/quote]

Hi folks, My name is Don and I have had OSA over 20 years and have been on a CPAP for 16 yrs. I don’t sleep without it! Even napping. Mine is not to bad as my pressure is only 8 psi. Greatest thing to be on it. I spent 30 yrs. as a firefighter and full night sleep was rare. I started on a machine right as I retired and it been great , no more change rooms because snored and keep my wife awake! I have used different machines and masks over the years. The improvement is great. Quieter, smaller and adjustable to your needs is great. I am available to answer questions if needed so don’t be afraid ask!

My name is Rachel, also known as Sleepy American. Having Narcolepsy w/ Cataplexy and Fibromyalgia, I advocate for all persons with Invisible Disabilities. It’s most important to have a fellow veteran like myself, to guide and support the newly diagnosed person. This is the time Narcolepsy Newbies feel most vulnerable. Over a decade of youtube Awareness, Educational, Advocacy, and Personal Accounts on YouTube and Facebook, I strive to bring ‘America’s Forgotten’ (Persons with invisible disabilities) to light.

All society knows is that Narcolepsy is just a blissful nap land. Somebody killed himself , several Homeless, many thought jokes, lazy nobodies on drugs!

being a sleepy toddler Mom is harder than imagined. Sleep is Life, Life is Sleep.

Hats off and thank you, don.arata! You can help so many people!

A friend from my past had Narcolepsy. Downright scary. Yes, your input can help so many.

Hello, My name is Eve. I was told I have sleep apnea and COPD. I was put on one machine which did not work for me. I had two more tests in the hospital and put on a ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV machine. I have not seen the doctor since I have been using the machine. I am new at this so please help me know what to do so that I can contribute.

Perhaps relate how your set up is working for you. If you feel unsure about anything feel free to ask a question.

Thank you! I thought this machine was suppose to help control the times that I stop breathing. Am I wrong?

Hi my name is Ronnie and I just got the call today that I have sleep apnea and now have a second study to sleep with a cpap machine. In always ti
red I have had sleep problems my whole life waking up eating never dreaming…now at 36 in taking control of my health.