ASAA Family Sites:
Sleep Apnea logo sleeptember logo

Increased wakeful events when using BiPap

I’m a paraplegic with OSA. My belief is that the inspiratory phase is so fast, even the slowest setting is 600 ms (.6 of a second!), that it causes a spasm in my body and thus the more wakeful events. I’m more tired using a BiPap than without. Any suggestions? TIA.

I have never used the device you have, but I can relate my experience with OSA to you.

I was diagnosed in 1986 with OSA while I was still on active duty in the military. As a result of the diagnosis, I had UPPP surgery removing my tonsils, adenoids, and part of my upper palate in an effort to treat it. The UPPP surgery failed.

I had another sleep study in 2006 with OSA again diagnosed. This time, the VA supplied me with a CPAP machine. Due to PTSD from military service, I could not deal with the CPAP either, and I gave up.

Last year, my other half insisted that I do something to keep me from stopping breathing in my sleep. She couldn’t sleep at night for fear I wouldn’t start breathing again. Loudly obnoxious snoring wasn’t any help either.

In December, I had a sleep study at the University of Michigan hospital. The findings were the same, OSA. My REI was over 50, putting me in the severe category.

The otolaryngologist at U of M (who shares his time with the VA hospital) recommended a device called “Inspire”. It is an implant similar to a pacemaker that stimulates the hypoglossal nerve that moves the tongue. You can turn it on and off with a remote control.

For me, it has been a life changer. No more breathing stoppage, no more snoring.

Your doctor should be consulted, before making the decision.

Here’s a link:

Have you discussed this with your physician? Maybe you can get more useful info there.

Shouldn’t you talk to your doctor or BiPAP technician?

I don’t some people do and fair well. Talk to your physician and don’t be afraid to try new things.