ASAA Family Sites:
Sleep Apnea logo sleeptember logo

I'm a Mouth Breather, Now What?

Is this op not allowed. In. Usa?

My brother had this operation in Berkeley, California.

Virus-free. www.avast.com

I had this operation in January, 2018. I am doing very well, and do not need to use a CPAP. As I mentioned, there are two types of operation: the painless one, and the painful one. 1) The painless one is a laser treatment that simply shrinks the volume of the soft palate at the back of the throat. This painless treatment is administered three times, each time is one week separated from the other. I may have been fine with this operation alone, but I was perhaps too impatient in deciding, after two treatments, that I would have the “painful” treatment. 2) The painful treatment is also by laser, but it actually cuts away the soft palate that is obstructing the breathing process. My brother had this about 10 years ago, and he suggested that I undergo it. This is why I decided on going through this operation. The operation in itself is not painful. You are given local anesthesia, but after the operation is over, the pain starts coming on, getting stronger and stronger as the days pass. The pain is like a canker sore in your mouth, but imagine a canker sore that is two or three inches long and 1 cm. wide. You cannot swallow anything for about 18 days. You manage to eat by taking soft foods that are as bland as possible. Even a banana has so much acid in it that it tastes like a Habanera chili when you try to eat it. For two or three weeks you need to have a large glass of lukewarm water with you in order to swallow whatever you put in your mouth. So, anyone whose doctor says he can have this operation, I can recommend it. But, first, you might try the painless operation in order to see if that is sufficient.

I’m late to this post & was reading this with interest when I came across your contribution to this discussion. You are so right, RSMARSILIANI! Nasal structure also plays a big part in sleep apnea. I had always been a mouth breather before sleep therapy. During my very first sleep study, my sleep doctor noticed that I slept with my mouth open (I had always slept with my mouth open, even from childhood) & prescribed the use of a chin strap & a nasal pillow mask with my first CPAP machine. I found that I couldn’t breathe when wearing the chin strap & would wake up feeling as if I was suffocating & would pull off the chin strap & sleep with just the headgear & nasal pillows (which at the time were a size S - before XS was available, & much too big for my nose) that were causing nose ulcers & a lot of pain. I wasn’t getting very good scores for sleep compliance & wasn’t feeling any more rested in the morning; in fact, quite the opposite - I was so exhausted by interrupted sleep & fighting with all the head gear. And, all this was causing poor sleep therapy performance & affecting my scores for compliance with using CPAP therapy, which we all know the first 90 days compliance period is so important if we want our insurance company to pay for the equipment. The sleep doctor was pretty sure that I must have had some structural problems within my nose & my mouth & he wanted me to see an ENT (Ear, Nose & Throat doctor) to see what all was going on. The ENT did a Pan-X (panorama dental x-ray that captures all your oral anatomy). He also had facial x-rays done. At the follow-up appointment, the ENT told me that I had huge adenoids, a deviated septum & crushed conchae in one of my nostrils, that I surmised was probably caused by an auto accident I had in the 70s, before shoulder restraints, & I had hit my face on the steering wheel, breaking my nose, & a few years later when my toddler son was sleeping with us one night, rolled over & his wrist fell across my nose, breaking it once again, so it had sustained quite a bit of damage. He also told me that my tongue was really too big for my mouth (the problem is really my mouth, which is very small). The first thing he did was surgery to straighten out the deviated septum & a turbinoplasty to remove the crushed conchae, along with an adenoidectomy & tonsillectomy. Recuperation was horrendous, but after recuperation I was surprised at how much better I could breathe. I could even breathe through my nose when running, which was a totally new thing for me and other runners use to give me a really hard time about it. I resumed trying to use the chin strap at night, but was waking up from biting the side of my mouth or my tongue & once again was waking up to pull off the chin strap. The ENT then referred me to a M.D./D.D.S. to assess what could be done to help with the tongue problem. One of the problems I first had to correct was that I tended to keep my tongue rolled up with the tip behind my lower teeth instead of letting it lay naturally. This was learned behavior that was part of my orthodontic treatment as a teenager, meant to stop the tongue from thrusting forward & pushing the upper teeth outwards. The dentist thought the best answer for this would be a dental appliance with or without the traditional CPAP therapy, & recommended wearing the chin strap again with the oral appliance to learn to sleep with my mouth shut. This time I did much better with the chin strap & learning to sleep with my mouth shut, but even after adjustments to the oral appliance, I often woke up feeling as if I was gagging to death & in the morning I would most often find that I had removed the appliance during my sleep & it was laying somewhere in the bed covers. At that point I pretty much gave up on the oral appliance. However, I did finally learn to sleep with my mouth closed & no longer needed the chin strap. It did take a second 90 day compliance period to finally qualify to keep using the CPAP equipment, but in the end, I learned a lot, & could breathe so much better. Most importantly, I have been feeling so much better in the morning & throughout my day since starting CPAP therapy.

Bravo ! Biggest noticeable benefits other than not feeling tired is that I’m not waking myself up snoring or biting my tongue when I wake up quickly. I’m actually looking forward to going to bed at night for the first time in years. rhinoplastie Tunisie

Okay. I finally got a full face mask. I have tried to use it three times. It keeps me awake at night. After one or two hours trying unsuccessfully to go to sleep, I take the mask off, because I cannot fathom staying awake all night trying to get to sleep. I need to get up in the morning to go to work. I’m in a quandary.

There is a gel called SleepQ+ you can check it out on their website and sells online. It’s quite easy to use. You apply it on your lips, let it set and go to sleep. If you want to open your mouth you use your tongue to moisten your lips and it opens straight away. If you then want to re-seal it you moisten your lips again, close your mouth and back to sleep. No issues

Hi, it takes a bit of getting used to but a full face mask is the way forward, if you can get a gel based one, they are lighter amd more comfortable, it may take a while to get used to it but persist, one day you will look back and wonder how you slept without it