ASAA Family Sites:
Sleep Apnea logo sleeptember logo

I don't like my cpap machine

what are some common an light things done to get use to wearing cpap mask thanks

CPAP Intro

Tips from the ASAA website troubleshooting guide

Skin irritation, sores and bruises from mask
No mask should cause pain nor discomfort if sized correctly and fitted properly. If irritation or sores are developing, chances are you are over tightening your mask. Your mask cushion may be worn out and
need replacing. Mask liners might also resolve skin irritation and mask leak.

I like my mask choice, but still get occasional facial sores or leaking.
Your cpap supplier should offer products that might be helpful if you otherwise like your mask. Ask about nasal pads. Easy to use, gel pads are placed across the nose bridge and under the mask. It
helps with leak in the upper part of the mask frame and is beneficial to patients who have a narrow nose bridge or who are prone to cuts or irritation to the nose bridge. Check out full face and nasal mask liners. They are applied directly to the silicone mask cushion to help absorb facial moisture and oils, and prevent skin irritation and pressure marks as well as to reduce noisy mask leak.

I wake up without my mask on, but have no memory of removing it during sleep
This is a common occurrence, especially during the early adjustment period of CPAP use. Chances are, you removed the mask due to discomfort or leak. This would indicate that your mask choice
is not the best for your face, or that it is not fitted properly.

I am claustrophobic and cannot get used to the nasal mask
Patients who experience claustrophobia usually find that the small size and simplicity of nasal pillow masks more tolerable. There is an adjustment period for most patients as they get used to sleeping
with any mask on the face. While your goal is to be able to sleep all night on CPAP, using it as long as you can tolerate it each night is better than nothing. Try to increase usage over time until you reach your goal.

My eyes are swollen or irritated
No air should be directed or leak up in to the eye area with a properly sized and fitted mask. This might indicate leak in the top area of your mask. Gently tighten the top mask straps taking care not to over tighten. This leak might also indicate a worn mask cushion that needs replacing. Some people naturally sleep with their eyes partially open which can cause dryness or irritation; they benefit from wearing a simple fabric eye mask. If swelling or irritation is chronic or persistent, consult your sleep or primary care physician.

I use a Nasal Pillow mask and my nostrils are sore
Skin irritation can quickly occur when the nasal pillows are not inserted properly. Try rotating the barrel that holds the nasal pillow inserts for a more comfortable angled position of the pillows in to the nostrils.
After best positioning, if leak still occurs at the nostril opening, try a larger size.

My mask is making a whistling noise
Most masks have exhalation ports (look for a tiny cluster of holes) that allow the escape of our CO2 (carbon dioxide). When routinely cleaning your mask parts, these tiny holes must be checked to make sure they are not soiled and clogged by body oil or bedding lint. When clogged, they can cause the mask to make a whistling noise. Use a sewing needle or toothpick to keep the holes free flowing.

My bed partner is bothered by the air flow of the exhalation ports from my mask
All masks have exhalation ports to allow the escape of CO2 (carbon dioxide). The higher the machine
pressure setting, the harsher this escape flow will be. Some masks have better air diffusion features
than others. Check with your CPAP provider to discuss a resolution. Some patients resolve by side sleeping with their backs turned to their bed partner to avoid a distracting air flow.

For more help after the diagnosis read our other useful articles:
http://www.sleepapnea.org/treat/after-the-diagnosis.html

I have started the journey…slow process for me. Had to get a new sleep study done. Tech did nor see many events, now I wonder if I will qualify! Won’t be seeing Dr. Padhya til June!

June, wow a long wait for results! I’ll be thinking of you and hope you will keep us in the loop as to what you find out
Best wishes!