ASAA Family Sites:
Sleep Apnea logo sleeptember logo

Hypnagogic Hallucinations (HH)

Share your knowledge and experience with hypnagogic hallucinations (HH)

i do not have narcolepsy which is often associated with hypnagogic hallucinations. I do have profoundly severe sleep apnea which has been successfully treated with bilevel for 25 years. I have always been curious as to why I have had HH since my earliest childhood memories. When it occurs, it is always coupled with sleep paralysis.
Looking for others who have HH but do not have narcolepsy to comment and share their experiences.
Thanks!

http://news.yahoo.com/living-sleep-paralysis-080000522.html

Great article about sleep paralysis which often accompanies HH.
I found it interesting that sleep paralysis is common but not often reported. I can relate to that, who wants to tell their doctor about the HAG in the bedroom standing over you with a knife! Or the dead relatives who visit you and sit on your bed…as you feel the mattress move as if someone IS sitting next to you.

Also, like the article says, my sleep paralysis most often occurs when I am stressed, sleep deprived or when I sleep on my back, another reason to avoid that sleeping position.

I hope others will share their sleep paralysis experiences and whether or not you also experience the hallucinations with the paralysis. You won’t be judged here!