ASAA Family Sites:
Sleep Apnea logo sleeptember logo

How many apneas and hypopneas per night

I use a resmed sleep machine at an 11-15 auto adjust pressure with nasal pillows. I am able to log on to a MyAir program that gives me my results in how many hours sleep, mask seal, etc. One of the readings is for apneas and hypopneas per night. My lowest is 1.5 my average is 2 or higher to 2.75. Any feedback is welcome because there is no one here in N Michigan that handles sleep apnea.

Hi there. First of all I must advise I am NOT a medical professional and you should consult one!

In my personal opinion, your AHI is fabulous! You are very well treated according to that data. Below 10 is considered normal so well done.

Thanks so much. I was wondering what the typical number was to be concerned. I would like to see a DR. The only one is far away and I am on a wait list. Few DR’s in N Michigan.

My doctor has a goal of less than 5 per hour. you seems to be getting great results.

Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) generally has three levels of severity broken down into how many times an apneic or hypopnea event occurs per hour (AHI). Mild cases range from 5-15 events/hour (AHI 5-15), moderate 15-30 (AHI 15-30), and severe > 30 events (AHI >30). If you’re AHI is between 1.5 and 2.75, your ResMed machine is treating you successfully. Always good to follow up with your Sleep physician or PCP.

I thought 5 or below was considered normal for ahi.

I also see in how I worded my question that one thing is not clear. That number I get is per hour not per night. Even on a great night that means a total of 12 or over. I am clarifying because I was talkig with my husband and he said my question didn’t say per hour.

I am not a doctor, but I was born with OSA. Your AHI or The Apnea Hypopnea Index is represented by the number of apnea and hypopnea events per hour not night. So for example, your AHI is 2.75, that is great, it means you have an “average” of 2.75 AHI per hour. My AHI without cpap is 32 and I stop breathing 100’s of times a night. 32 is the number they focus on.

Jami,

Can I ask, how did you get your machine? I had a sleep study which shows I need one, but my insurance won’t pay for a titration study. Can I just go out and buy my own auto pap?

Thank you in advance!

Not a doctor. Those numbers seem great. Confirm. W dr. Who diagnosed G☃

My understanding is that 5 or below is normal.

Yes, an AHI of <5 events per hour is considered normal. Even healthy sleepers might have a tiny number of apneas at night, this is because the respiratory system is somewhat on “autopilot” as we sleep, so we are not consciously taking our own breaths. The upper airway becomes much more relaxed and an apnea can take place. However, less than 5 means you are really at no risk for any long-term consequences or lost sleep.

Tamara

I move from. 6 to 12 apneas. Wish. Had. 5 per hour? Don’t feel well rested. In. Am. Even w. 6. Hr

Your results sound amazing. My AHI was 17.5 when I was diagnosed. Even though I feel great now, my lowest AHI was 13. Still looking for answers. Going back for follow up to figure out what to do. You are correct. AHI is an hourly index of incidents over 10 seconds.

I got this statement below from a website for understanding sleep apnea results:

It can be mild, moderate, or severe, depending on the number of times in an hour that your breathing stops (apnea) or becomes very shallow (hypopnea). Apnea episodes may occur from 5 to 100 times an hour. More than five apneas per hour is abnormal. More than 30-40 per hour is considered severe sleep apnea.

At first insurance didn’t even want to cover my sleep study. My doctor resubmitted the forms, and it showed I needed therapy. They sent me to a vendor, and basically I am renting the unit.

insurances never accept it from the first time. or at least that’s what it seems and what happened to me.

My doctor told me mine is moderate, but she never really seemed to push me getting it. She said it was more likely I would need it more as I got older. It took more than a year from the first time they ordered the study until the time I was set up. I kept worrying something bad might happen, but they really didn’t act like it was that big a deal.

I was told I have 70 plus ahi’s so I guess I have a real problem? I’m having some dizzy spells and insomnia (had that forever I think), and lots of memory issues, could this be the culprit?

When were you tested, @Pattibcook ?