ASAA Family Sites:
Sleep Apnea logo sleeptember logo

Help Getting diagnosis and treatment without insurance

I need some help/advice. My boyfriend has sleep apnea and it’s really bad. He stops breathing every few minutes and is always gasping for air. It has started to affect his normal breathing, he breathes heavier during the day as well. He has to be moving to stay awake at this point. He is 40 so I’m sure it’s not going to get better. He doesn’t have health insurance. Alabama did not expand their Medicaid system and the insurance that is on the marketplace is just ridiculous and he is not eligible for any subsidies. If someone could point me in the right direction to get him diagnosed and treatment without insurance the help would be greatly appreciated.

I wish I had an answer for you about the coverage, but sadly I do not.

There are home sleep studies that are not as expensive as in-lab studies, so that is perhaps an option. You can do an Internet search for “Home sleep study company.” Some will mail the sensors to you.

The American Sleep Apnea Association has donated CPAP equipment for those in need. You can always fill the form out later if you achieve the diagnosis, but here is the link to the CPAP Assistance Program (CAP): https://www.sleepapnea.org/community/cpap-assistance-program/

Now as far as your describing his symptoms, I would definitely pursue diagnosis and treatment. Apnea has a tendency to worsen if untreated. Not to mention YOUR sleep being fragmented with hearing him, and no doubt-- worrying about him…waiting anxiously until you hear the next gasp or snort so you know he is alive.

You being a partner to someone who most likely has sleep apnea are a welcome group here on this forum. You may make the difference in getting him well due to you gathering information. HATS OFF!

If anyone else here has a suggestion for @kellz198139 , please do share it here.

Good luck to you!! (and him!!)

MotherT

Thanks. I have tried setting us up on payment plans but most medical facilities here are very wary of doing that with no insurance coverage. I have actually dealt with sleep apnea my whole life. My father also has it and he has done much better since getting diagnosed and getting the CPAP machine several years ago.