ASAA Family Sites:
Sleep Apnea logo sleeptember logo

Hello | Sleep Study Help Please

Hello,

This is my first time on any sort of page like this. I’ll be 39 years old in October and I’m sure that I have some sort of sleep apnea. I’ve known for a long time that something wasn’t right but didn’t know what to do or what the problem was except for the fact that I was tired all of the time. In 2009 I had a situation happen that really caused me to do some research for the first time and it became clear that I had some sort of sleep disorder. I went to my doctor and he recommended a sleep study. I’ve had a few appointments set to get the sleep study done but could never go through with it cause I couldn’t afford it, even with health insurance. I desperately need a CPAP or something so I can treat this disorder but I can’t get one without having a sleep study showing that it is needed. So far, I’ve been told that I make too much money to qualify for financial assistance for a free study to which I laugh at. I need help very badly and quickly and am at my wits end. Any advice you can give or if you can point me in the right direction for help I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Mark

Community Rules - Play Nice!

Hi Mark,

Do you still have insurance? Have you talked to your doctor about a home sleep study? They are much cheaper and many insurance companies are recommending them. Many sleep centers or cardiologists have them now.

Also, in the mean time you might want to try a simple App to give you a baseline and more information to discuss with your doctor. The key thing is stay on top of it. Once you get diagnosed, the American Sleep Apnea Association can help you get a CPAP through it’s CPAP Assistance Program.

http://www.sleepapnea.org/resources/cpap-assistance-program.html

And I would add that some sleep centers might provide services on a sliding scale (i.e., based on ability to pay). Unfortunately, we are not aware of any services that provide this on a national scale on a low or no cost basis.