ASAA Family Sites:
Sleep Apnea logo sleeptember logo

Has anyone's eye sight improved after starting cpap therapy?

Hi, All. At my first sleep test more than 10 years ago, I was averaging 84 apneas per hour. Last year I knew my 8-year-old machine was not up to par and finally could afford a new machine; my pressure is 28. Yes, it really is 28. Well, after a month of use with the new machine, my new glasses, about 3 months old, are no good. I have to take them off to drive because I can now see better without them.

I told my doctor about this and he pooh poohed the idea that I can see better now because my optic nerve might be getting more oxygen now.

Anybody else experience this and think it could be apnea related??

What a blessing. IF YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO USE A SLEEP MACHINE, PLEASE DO IT!!! You can’t imagine how much healthier you will feel.

Rita

No, in fact more dry eye from it. And I have no leaks with my mask.

First off, I don’t sleep any better with a CPAP machine. In fact, I don’t get as much sleep because I wake up every couple of hours with a very dry mouth that feels like someone shoved a cotton ball down it. Second, I don’t sleep well with it because it causes my already stuffed sinuses to become worse and then the nasal mask does me no good as I become a mouth breather. So, my experience is that CPAP does not work for me.

As for your seeing better, I would see an eye doctor about that. I have the beginnings of cataracts and have been told that at some point my vision would temporarily get better then become worse as the cataracts developed. If you value your vision as much as I do, I would make that appointment as soon as possible.

Are you using a humidifier and is your setting high enough?
Might you need a chin strap or full face mask to keep your mouth covered too?
Do you use a saline nasal rinse before bedtime to help cleanse your swollen sinus tissues?
These items are key to me; any one of these can cause me a less restful sleep.

Congrats on your successes, @rras !

I’ve tried all that and it is still so uncomfortable that I more often than not throw it off in my sleep.

So sorry to hear that; it took me 4 months to get used to mine the first time I had to use it. It went across the room at least twice.

You’ve consulted with your respiratory therapist about it, right?

cpap caused dry eye and contributed to the development of cateracts and slightly elevated eye presure. So no, vision worse with cpap.

This is great news, Rita!

There’s a lot of recent discussion about eye health as it relates to sleep apnea, so you’re not just “telling tales” ( :wink: )

Without knowing precisely what kinds of eye problems you have, I’m guessing that, based on the information from the article embedded here, you might have helped improve an eye health problem with the use of CPAP.

This would not surprise me, as using CPAP can also improve blood pressure, heart health, blood sugar and insulin levels, and much more.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks, Tamara. I have an eye doctor appointment early February to get new glasses. Will be interesting to hear what he say!

Let us know what you learn, others may benefit from your experience!

Best wishes,
Tamara

so hate to hear that; if you pressure is not too high, have you tried nasal pillows??? I absolutely love nasal pillows, but my pressure is now 28 and blows them right off my face. Would you be funny if I didn’t now have to use a full face mask.

I have tried the chin strap. I didn’t like it and it did little to no good. However, I am getting used to using my CPAP machine and I am not throwing it off as often as I did in the beginning. So, things are getting better. Thanks for the help.

This is what happens for a lot of people. A couple of things come to mind:

One thing that happens when you live with sleep apnea (untreated) for a while is that you begin to breathe through your mouth as a survival mechanism for getting enough oxygen as you sleep.

However, we should all really just be breathing through our noses.

Once you settle into a pattern with a CPAP, your brain/body will begin to tolerate this new “helper” and you’ll stop breathing through the mouth because you don’t need to anymore. Also, you’ll become desensitized to the sensation of the mask on the face and the pressurized air. Eventually, you will make it through the night without any disruption to your mask because your body and brain will realize it is supposed to be there, and you’ll be adjusted.

Keep going, sounds like you’re on your way to getting a good sleep apnea fix!

Had my doctor appointment; my eye sight has improved tremendously. The technician did a double take when she ordered my new glasses. Eye Doctor said he agreed with my oxygen to the optic nerve theory because there is nothing with my eyes has changed significantly. So soon I will have glasses that I can wear all the time and won’t be dropping them on the ground cuz I have to wear them on my head to drive.

rras: I had never heard of dry eye being a risk factor for cataracts. Cataracts are caused by the deterioration of proteins in the lens inside the eye ball. Because the lenses are inside the eye ball, the lenses are not subject to drying of the external eye ball.
I have consulted several websites and could not find anything that indicated that dry eyes are a risk factor for cataracts.
https://www.aao.org/eye-health/diseases/cataracts-causes

spiritwalker,
Failure to use a cpap machines increases your risk of developing dementia.

The problem is not because of a failure to use a cpap machine. With or without it, I do not get more than five hours of sleep per sleep cycle. I would be most happy to use it if I were able to sleep 7-8 hours at one time without waking up and then struggling to go back to sleep. As a matter of fact, it is, right now, 0224 hours and I cannot sleep. I think the problem is much deeper than whether or not the cpap machine is used.