ASAA Family Sites:
Sleep Apnea logo sleeptember logo

Flu Suggestions

Hi Everyone. I am in the middle of a flu that is seriously interrupting my ability to sleep with a CPAP mask. I have Severe Chronic Obstructive Sleep Hypopnea, and I sleep with a nasal / full face mask. But I cannot breathe (and yep - I’m doing the nasal sprays, etc.) but it still prevents me from sleeping. Do you guys have any tricks you use to fall asleep in these situations? I had the mask on for 1 1/2 hours before I gave up and took it off. Thanks so much

Unfortunately there is little you can do, it’s worth trying steam and Vic rub before bed but until your cold passes you will have s more disrupted sleep x

Thanks Debbi - It was a very frustrating night to say the least. Have a great week!

Try to prop yourself up as much as you can. I have a recliner that I sleep in if it gets really bad.

I’ll have to try that. I don’t have a recliner, but I do have a chair that might work. Thanks for the suggestion!

Take 2 puffs of Afrin Pump Mist 15-30 minutes before bedtime. ONLY do this ONCE per day. I’ve been doing it for 10 years daily. You will get a little rebound stuffiness in late afternoon and evening while you are awake, which is not a problem for me. I’ve never had this fail, even when I’ve had a bad cold or flu.

You can find generic versions for about half the price. Just be sure to get the mist (atomizer), not the regular spray. It works faster.

Be sure to close off the other nare and inhale while puffing.

Thanks Doc - I have been using Colloidal Silver and it generally works really well. But last night I was so bad - no go… I will get some Afrin Pump Mist. I appreciate the information!

Could you let us know how the Afrin pump mist works for you?

Sure - I just have to get to the store first - ha ha

Hi There - Sorry - I got this in my e-mail but cannot find it in the forum. I tried the lavage as young as 9 - my mother thought it was the best thing in the world, but all it does for me is make my feet stamp and jump. I can’t stand to even do a little of it. My hubby forced me into it in spite of my protests and then was horrified at how it affected me. So, I appreciate the suggestion, but no go for me… Thanks though… Have a great week!

Thanks Sandi - I’ll look at it.

My problem is that I have a lot of allergies (recently discovered that I am reactive to Salon Pas patches of all things), and I am not willing to allow implants of anything. While I would love to find a way to sleep at night without the mask the idea of an implant of pretty much anything terrifies me. I’ll look into it though