ASAA Family Sites:
Sleep Apnea logo sleeptember logo

Experience with with Inspire Therapy for Sleeep Apnea

Hi all, I recently had a sleep endoscopy performed by a doctor who is also certified to do the Inspire Surgery and Therapy in Indiana. My results showed that I had a really significant collapse of the pharynx, 100% AP of the velopharynx and a complete concentric collapse of the oropharynx, retro­ glossal and retro-epiglottic spaces. Jaw thrust really did not help at all.

Other than the Inspire website and a few Sleep Health and Apnea forums, I can barely find anyone who has had a negative experience with it. I’m skeptical however because it looks like all the reviews were written by someone who works with or is connected to Inspire. I think they might even have trolls that go around to other websites and write positive reviews so it will make their product look better.

IN fact, this article from 2017 makes me very nervous about the therapy:

One website I read state the following:

“Inspire airway stimulation is a relatively effective treatment for moderate to severe obstructive sleep apnea when CPAP is not tolerated”

“relatively effective treatment” that word “relatively scares me.”

Also, let’s not talk about the cost.

Anyway, I’m new here so I hope someone will look at this, take pity upon me, and give some advice.

Thanks.

I’ve done some reading about it. The one negative thing that stood out for me was you are unable to have an MRI after. I thought it would be less invasive than having to wear CPAP every night. I’ve never met anyone who has had it. I did send an email to a local doctor and asked a question and found out I’m not a candidate for it because I also have central apnea. There’s a similar procedure for central apnea but no one in my area that I have found that does it. I’m thinking about waiting a few years to see the outcome of other cases.

Hi KIm, thanks for your reply. I think it’s probably best to wait. I’ll give CPAP a try again. Deep sigh.