ASAA Family Sites:
Sleep Apnea logo sleeptember logo

Do I need a titration to get a machine?

My insurance company pemitted a home study which showed result of severe obstructive apnea. My doctor wanted me to do the sleep titration but my insurance company has denied it. They want me to have my doctor request an auto home pap. My healthcare provider has told me they don’t have equipment available to do home titration studies. My question is, do I have to have a titration study to get a prescription for a machine? My insurance company gave me numbers for 3 suppliers but they still want a prescription. I am thoroughly confused as to how to get a machine and start feeling better. Pleaae help! Can I just buy an auto PAP machine without titration, who helps with this?

Yes, The titration appointment is important because this is where they figure out what pressure settings your machine needs to be set at. The American Sleep Apnea Association has a CPAP Assistance Program which can help you get a machine for $100 after you have your titration appointment completed. You can contact them at 888-293-3650 or at manager@donatedcpap.org. Good luck!

Here’s what I have done in the past – which some will consider risky.

I’ve bought APAPs from Craig’s List users.

My doctor said that some do well on an APAP instead of a CPAP while others do better on a CPAP instead of an APAP.

I started with a CPAP and didn’t want to spend money on a new APAP: it might not work better for me and there I’d be with an extra machine AND its expense.

I bought an APAP from a young man whose family had decided to treat him to a super-duper APAP. His old, lower-end machine, was perfectly suitable for my trial; I spent very little on it – a little over $100 if memory servers.

I learned from the trial that APAP works better for me. I bought another APAP from a Craig’s List user who couldn’t stand using a machine. His rejected APAP was a near top-of-the-line Resmed. I spent about $350 for it with everything – and I do mean EVERYTHING – included. (His insurance had paid for it.)

I still browse Craig’s List from time to time: I like having an extra machine on hand, just in case…

Now, if you’ve not had an overnight study, there is a challenge here: How should you set your machine? I suspect that with an APAP, since the pressure fluctuates according to your breathing, you are not at risk if you put in a range of, say, 7 to 14, 15 or 16 if you are not terribly overweight and your sleep apnea is not severe. (BTW, my SA is very severe and I’m normal weight.)

I offer my experience FWIW. I am mindful that some (many?) might consider it to be risky.

@nona2000 - Thank you for sharing your experience. I am happy you have been treated and are doing well with therapy. Continued good luck to you!