ASAA Family Sites:
Sleep Apnea logo sleeptember logo

Delayed Sleep Apnea Diagnosos

i found this to be an interesting article and it reminded me of my 14 years of misdiagnosis…

It is titled IS IT TIME TO STOP USING RACE IN MEDICAL RESEARCH
http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/02/05/465616472/is-it-time-to-stop-using-race-in-medical-research

While my comments are not about race or research, this is what caught my attention and got me thinking:
Roberts: Race isn’t a good category to use to understand those differences or the commonalities. It in many cases leads researchers down the wrong path and leads to harmful results for patients. For example, black patients who have the symptoms of cystic fibrosis aren’t diagnosed because doctors see it as a white disease.

I clearly displayed symptoms of sleep apnea in my 20’s, yet was not diagnosed until age 35 in 1989 and by then it was profoundly severe. I was told the oversight was more than likely because in the 1980’s sleep apnea was thought to be a disorder of overweight middle aged men. I did not fit the mold.

How many children are still misdiagnosed with ADD or ADHD when in fact they have sleep apnea?

How many symptomatic people are not screened for sleep apnea because they are not obese or don’t “fit the mold” ?

How many people must be diagnosed with sleep apnea after the heart attack, stroke or massive weight gain and diabetes before primary care, cardiologists and internal medicine physicians start screening and asking a few simple questions:
Do you snore?
Do you wake up feeling unrefreshed?
Are you sleepy during the day?
Do you have headaches, especially morning headaches?
Do you have or are you being treated for high blood pressure?

I wish someone had asked me these questions.

Was your diagnosis delayed because you did not “fit the mold” ?
Was your diagnosis delayed because, despite symptoms, doctors did not ask those few simple questions?

Looking forward to hearing your comments on the length of time between your symptoms and your diagnosis.