ASAA Family Sites:
Sleep Apnea logo sleeptember logo

Cpap and weight loss

I started using a cpap a year ago with fantastic results. I was really overweight and the change in how I felt was great so I started a weight loss program. Fast forward one year and I’ve lost around 80 lbs. With the weight loss however, now it seems my cpap doesn’t work as well. I’m finding myself waking up every couple hours again, not getting any good REM sleep, and just recently finding myself kneeling by the bed or on the floor again, which were 2 of my worst symptoms before treatment. I am very concerned by this. My mental and physical state before cpap was very difficult, not only for me but my family as well. I am reaching out to my primary physician and of course every one is telling me to have another study(which I am) but I would love to know if anyone else has had a significant weight loss change their success with cpap.

Thanks in advance, and how awesome is it to have a place to connect about this rarely discussed disorder.

Hi Manimal…and congratulations with the weight loss.

Sleep apnea is not a static condition…this means that it changes over time and as our own bodies change. What you’re being told about the need to have another sleep study is spot on. You really do need to have another sleep study to determine where you now are on the sleep apnea spectrum.

I’m so sorry about your distressing symptoms. Get your sleep study done ASAP so that you can begin to feel better soon.

Hi, I lost 50 pounds due to an illness. I saw my sleep therapist for help due to problems with my sleep. A new sleep study was done and my pressure was reduced from 16 to 8. I sleep very well now. The old pressure was too high making it difficult to keep up with the machine. Get a new study, it can’t hurt and will probably help. Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback Mary! I have actually scheduled an appointment to have another test done. After reading a lot of the threads and comments on the forum I am seeing that most people are not being monitored by either there doctor or cpap provider liason. I, like many others, was only coached to minimum of the usage requirement to get insurance to pay and then no contact whatsoever. It seems pretty reckless to me, but a reminder that WE need to take charge of our healthcare and move past the former generations TRUST in our providers to have our wellness as priority one. Thank goodness we have the ability to connect and share on this platform.

I stopped drinking (~8oz red wine/day) about five months ago. My weight dropped from 155 to 145 lbs.That was enough to eliminate my obstructive sleep apnea (now AHI 2.8/Hr) so long as I sleep on a wedge pillow. My apnea rate is even better (AHI 0.9/Hr) when I am on my pillow and also sleep on my side rather than on my back. I also have central sleep apnea and, if not medicated, experience RBD (REM sleep behavior disorder). Your comment “…finding myself kneeling by the bed or on the floor again…” makes me wonder if those are RBD events. If so, you had better push your healthcare providers to refer you to a neurologist.