ASAA Family Sites:
Sleep Apnea logo sleeptember logo

Chronic Insomnia and Medical Marijuana

I am a chronic insomniac. The problem has gotten progressively worse since being diagnosed with sleep apnea about 4 years ago. I had a mild case (approx 17 episodes/.hour) and I used a CPAP for nearly 3 years. I never adapted well to the mask. However, after losing 25 lbs., I was re-tested and I am down to 5 episodes/hour. This is borderline for needing a CPAP. So, I switched to an oral appliance. I adapted to this on the first night…

My insomnia has persisted and gotten worse during the past 4 years. I have tried hypnosis, herbal therapy, brain mapping, OTC and prescription meds… nothing has helped me increase from about 4 hours/night to the 7-8 hours I need. I exercise 7 days per week and avoid caffeine and alcohol. My doctor is recommending medical marijuana. I am hopeful that this will be the answer I need…
If anyone has had success in overcoming insomnia, I’d love to hear from you.

Don’t use electronic devices (TV, Computer, cell phone) for 1 hour before bedtime. Something about the light on these devices interferes with sleep.

Use a relaxation process when get in bed. I tell my body parts to relax starting with my feet and working up through my body and deliberately relaxing each part. It really helps.