ASAA Family Sites:
Sleep Apnea logo sleeptember logo

Acupuncture and Apnea

Therapy for obstructive sleep apnea is complicated by my problem of aerophagia. For many years I have been looking for good sleep. I found new information about acupuncture. It sounds great. Does anyone have any experience or know how to find someone trained in apnea acupuncture or know about any clinical trial?

Acupuncture Found Effective For Sleep Apnea Relief, Beats CPAP; 04 SEPTEMBER 2016

Reference:
Lv Zheng-tao, Jian W, Huang J, Zhang J, and Chen A. The Clinical Effect of Acupuncture in the Treatment of Obstructive Sleep Apnea: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2016.

Thank You!

I never even thought of trying acupuncture for the apnea even though I have tried it once before for something else and it worked very well. Have you asked you physician if they have heard of anything? They might be able to at least point in you in the right direction. Good luck with that and let us know how you made out.

Hello Hope.

Yes I have tried Acupuncture as I have OSA, for me personally it did not work on my apnoea, and I had 6 sessions with a recommended Chinese practitioner.
But sure go ahead and try this treatment, but I would say seek out a registered Chinese doctor, with the aerophagia try altering your sleep posture, it certainly worked for me, get the use of a body pillow this will help to correct your sleep posture much better than most other methods on offer.
good luck .