ASAA Family Sites:
Sleep Apnea logo sleeptember logo

66 AIH per Hour

I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea with 66AIH per hour. I knew I was tired and felt as though I only had a few good hours a day to accomplish anything but I never would have thought anything was wrong had it not been for my husband telling me to get a test.
After 2 two months I am down to 15 AIH per hour I am better, not great, but I still need 9 Hours sleep to feel rested. Will that improve?

I am a dentist working in dental sleep medicine. Going from an AHI of 66 down to an AHI of 15 is a tremendous improvement. OSA that severe tends to do a considerable amount of damage to your body over time. Therefore your body also needs a considerable amount of time to repair the damage. First the damage is repaired and then you feel the difference by feeling better. It could take more time for you to feel the maximum benefit, maybe two to four months more or even more. I would also work with your sleep doctor and/or DME provider to see if your CPAP can be optimized to get your AHI down even more. Ideally it should be down below 5. If you got a little closer to that, you might feel a little sharper. However, medically, you are already at a much better place with an AHI of 15. Good luck to you! a.b.luisi,d.m.d.

Thank you, SleepDent. I agree with Dr. Luisi. You have shown tremendous improvement! Keep up the great work, but don’t feel bad about needing 9 hours of sleep :slight_smile:

I am an advocate for the field of sleep medicine and for its patients. In the US, it is not uncommon for people to feel guilty or ashamed of “taking” the sleep they need for optimal daytime performance. Some have the notion that it is a “weakness” to need to sleep longer hours take or take naps. We as a country do not embrace slumber as a “true need” as we do diet, exercise and the like. Europeans think we are insane for feeling this way as they embrace their sleep and nap times.

I truly believe you will need less sleep as you continue your treatment regimen for sleep apnea. However, I do encourage you not to cheat yourself of “nourishing sleep” should you need to keep to the 9 hours.

Just think about how your life is improving for yourself, and for your loved ones since you have started therapy.

I wish you the best of luck!

“MotherT”

Thank you so much for your feed back. It is reassuring to know that the improvements I had hoped for can still occur.

Yes, and I am one of those people who have felt guilty about needing 9 hours sleep, so thank you for your encouragement.

I had an initial AHI of 66 as well and it took a few months to get it down to below 15 then to 5 and below. My biggest improvement was when I went back to my sleep doctor and got connected with one of the techs and spent some time with him getting things figured out. He showed me how to program my machine myself and how to fine tune it to get better results. After some trial and a few errors I was able to get down to a about a 1 or sometimes 2 AHI. Getting the right mask is a big help. I started with a partial mask which was horrible. The Airfit P10 works great for me and I have had it a couple of years now. Probably the biggest one thing you can do is be consistent. I am approaching 3 years and I have never been a night without my machine. I travel occasionally and go camping frequently. My machine is part of me now. I also started out borderline atrial fibrillation but that has been corrected.

Very happy you have these feelings now!

Hi dk800mi!

I am a “newbie” to sleep apnea and this community forum, so I am still learning the correct terminology for things here. Could you tell me what type of mask the Airfit P10 is? I just had my second sleep study, and it didn’t go well in the least. Even though I was very happy when the technician placed a very small and lightweight nasal mask on my face, he told me that if I opened my mouth at all, he would have to replace it with a full-face mask. I think that major anxiety kicked in that night, because I was simply concentrating on keeping my mouth totally shut (and I am a mouth breather, not a nose breather by nature). Needless to say, I am really sorry that I did not sleep the way I normally do – mouth probably hanging open and everything. I didn’t get my second sleep study results yet; I am kind of afraid to know what I will find out. Normally, I am in bed for about 15-16 hours per night; have you ever heard of such craziness? For the longest time, I thought I couldn’t get up and even function if I were not in bed until exactly 11 am. So far, I have yet to meet anyone here who is actually in bed for that long; I kicked myself out of bed a half hour early today, knowing that I had to move around earlier, since the mere act of remaining in bed for so long probably takes its toll on an apneic individual.

Right now, I am seeking out advice on the best, “appropriate” type of mask for me – since I know that everyone is different and has different needs.

I am sorry to ramble, but I think I just had some things on my mind that I needed to get off my chest.

I am extremely happy to know about your improvements, and you also bring much hope and encouragement to me.

Have a great (and well-rested) day!

I am

@Daisygirl - Do not worry! You are not rambling!! Telling the full story is a good thing, and more likely will help others here respond to you. So happy you have joined!

Thank you for your encouragement, MotherT! I can really use it right now.