ASAA Family Sites:
Sleep Apnea logo sleeptember logo

10 Commandments of Healthy Sleep - SleepApnea.org

1. Fix regular times for going to bed and for getting up.
  2. If you nap during the day, don’t allow yourself more than 45 minutes of sleeping time.
  3. Stop consuming alcoholic beverages four hours before bedtime and don’t smoke at all.
  4. Avoid caffeine beginning six hours before bedtime. This includes not only coffee and tea, but many soft drinks and chocolate as well.
  5. Avoid heavy, spicy, or sugary foods starting four hours before bedtime. A light snack just before retiring is okay.
  6. Exercise regularly, but not right before bed.
  7. Use comfortable bedding.
  8. Find a comfortable temperature setting for your bedroom, and keep the room well ventilated.
  9. Block out all distracting noise and eliminate as much light as possible.
  10. Reserve your bed for sleep and sex. It is not an office, a workroom, a movie theater, or TV viewing venue.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://hmeinteractive.com/clients/asaa/sleepapnea/10-commandments-healthy-sleep/

Find me a comfortable full mask, then I may be able to sleep.“Hello China?”

This is an impressive list

However how is it possible to get up at the same time if ur sleep is so bad throught the week n weekends waking up at various times making it impossible to get up at the same time?

It sounds like a good habit to get into but at least for me nearly impossible

Thx

That is a great question!

When you go to bed and rise at the same time, what you are doing is keeping your circadian rhythms in balance.

If your sleep schedule is all over the map (go to bed at 1am, 9pm, 1230am, 1015p and rise at 630am, 9am, 4am, 715am), your circadian system falls out of what is known as “entrainment” with the light-dark cycles of the earth/sun. The circadian system is what all living things use to stay tuned to these cycles.

When we work overnight shifts, stay up too late, or get up too early, or take long naps during the day, we confuse the circadian system and it makes it more difficult for the brain to know when it’s actually time to sleep and actually time to get up.

This is why many people are suffering from accrued “sleep debt.” They do not adhere to a sleep/wake schedule that is consistent, so their systems fall out of balance. This can lead to problems with falling asleep at night, daytime sleepiness, cognitive “fog,” days and productivity lost to naps, and waking up too early or too late for practical purposes.

I hope that helps!

Couldn’t find you commandments.

They are up at the top of the page, but I’ve also posted them here, @RWilson
–MotherT

Thanks!! I can depend on you.

You’re very welcome!!